DIY: Glam Skull Earrings

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial

I recently got obsessed with drilling through stuff. Yes - hard plastic, wood - god, I didn't know what I was missing. I attempted to drill metal before, but I failed so I shelved the project. But yes, now I have gotten over the fear of failure and made these just in time for Halloween. :)


What do you need? Well, just cheapo Dollar Tree plastic skull rings, some jumbo popsicle sticks, and nail polish of course (yes, I am also obsessed with crafting/painting using nail polish). Here's what you do:

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial
 Mark 5" from each end, line and cut as indicated.

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial
 Do be patient, and use a box cutter or an x-acto knife. Remember, patience will give you less splits and a better cut! :D

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial
 Drill a hole to accommodate the jump ring for the earring attachment. Also, remember to not put a lot of pressure on the wood while drilling or you will scream out in frustration on having to repeat the process all over again @_@

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial
 Paint it with your preferred color (I used nail polish, but feel free to use acrylic or any other paint that would work on both wood and plastic). Tape it up like so.

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial
 Fill and paint. Do the same for the other side. I find it easier to line the tape with the existing frontal pattern while taping the back up.

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial


Transform your cheapo plastic skulls. Cut the ring back (easy cause it's really soft), press hard to flatten it a bit, paint both front and back - and wait for a couple of hours to dry. Stick it on your earring base after with hot glue or e6000. 

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial
 Add your jump rings and earring hooks. Congratulations, you are done! :D

diy-goth-skull-earrings-tutorial

Who would have thought these earrings were made from popsicle sticks and dollar store stuff, right? Rock your earrings on your next night out! 


Oh, P.S: Last day of voting, please vote here if you like this nail design, thanks so much! You can also vote on their site if you do not have a facebook account. I appreciate the support! :) Enjoy the weekend folks! 

18 comments

  1. How creative! c:
    {I voted for you by the way} <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! Although sadly, I did not win. Haha! better luck for me next time @_@

      Delete
  2. very clever and cute results- Looks a lot more pricey than what you paid for the materials too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. plus it's not that hard to do either :D

      Delete
  3. These are awesome and uber creative! I would have never thought to use the skulls from the plastic rings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! You are brilliantly creative! These are stunning! So fitting for the season, but great enough to wear all year long.... then I looked around your blog some more... You are amazing! Yes, my bottom jaw dropped to the floor - I don't know how you do it... you are very, very talented. Best Wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Viola, thanks for that awesome comment! Comments like yours inspire me to create more stuff. Thank you! :3

      Delete
  5. Really a great idea!
    Your blog is so wonderful!!
    Kisses from Italy!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great design! Now I will have to check out our local dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw them on Dollar Tree the other day. Have fun crafting! :)

      Delete
  7. These are amazing. I have a few grandchildren who will love these. They will wear them all year since they are into gothic items. Thank-you so very much for this. You are very amazing. I admire your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! That comment is really appreciated :) Have fun making them if you do - or better yet you should make them with your grandchildren :D

      Delete
  8. can i get the link to ur above shown halloween nail art =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I currently don't have a tutorial for that - it was a contest entry for Bundle Monster 2 years ago. :)

      Delete

Back to Top