DIY: Polka Dot Owl Shirt



I love those quirky prints that are trending these days - I love those owls. And so, here's another pretty straightforward DIY for you guys with a free printable stencil.

Here's what you need to do:

Download the template here. Print on freezer paper, then cut along the outside line. Iron it on your shirt, then paint it. I used a kitchen sponge (cause I like the finish more than foam brushes) - it makes the paint look more vintage-y. To make it semi-cloudy like mine, mix 1 part white fabric paint with 1 part black acrylic paint and make sure you don't mix it well - you want to leave some white and grayish strands. Then proceed to dab it onto the shirt with your sponge. After it's a bit dry, add your dots - I used the eraser end of a normal pencil. Blot the excess paint with paper, wait for it to dry, and iron to seal.

Ooh, sorry for the quality of the photo above - my brother has shaky hands *sigh*.

Well what do you think folks? You know what to do *hintcommenthint*! Have a swell weekend!


24 comments

  1. AWW!! sO CUTE!! I am printed this out and making one!! Thanks for the template! xoxo I LOVE LOVE LOVE OWLS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this..thanks for the template! Am I the only one who is getting the instructions in one vertical line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no problem! and what do you mean by getting them in one vertical line? well, it's not really a problem is it o.o

      Delete
  3. This is awesome especially because I made a tshirt design recently but I didn't think to use a sponge or blot out the excess paint - both of which would have been nice to do. I'm going to try that next time, thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! Great idea. Best wishes from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I've go some old t-shirts i'm gonna use to practice before I attent with a good one. Thanks for the tute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, enjoy making them! :3

      Delete
  6. Hi!
    I fell upon this page via craftgawking and fell in love with the owl. I printed the pattern and made an owl tee, it's soooo cuuuute!!!!!! love it, thank you so much!
    I have read lots of your posts and have fallen in love with your blog; I have added it to my blogroll (on chocolateandarmani.blog.com), do you mind?
    Do you mind if I do an owl tee DIY post on my blog? I write where I found the idea from and put your link in it so that people can come straight here and give you all the credit you deserve!
    xoxo
    Demeter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, I would love to see what you made. And thanks for adding me to your blogroll, Demeter! :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much!!
    here's the link: http://chocolateandarmani.blog.com/2012/10/18/o-is-for-owl/
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! Owls are definitely very cute. I really want to try this - I just need to find a tshirt to do it on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I must try it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great and cute idea. Making one for each of my grand kids "sew" they can wear a t-shirt like grandma. Thanks "sew" much

    Bambi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I hope your grand kids would love them! :D

      Delete
  12. finally an owl design that I like! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I just found your blog. I love this idea! It looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. waar kan ik de contact paper kopen?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love this so muchh! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi aki i am not a blogger or a proffessional but would just like to give a suggestion. wouldnt It be nice to paint eyes white and use some black gems or 3d outliner to make eyeballs.by the way i loved your blog.i am sleeping late just to check all of your posts in few days.i am very dissapointed that i found your blog so late.thanks for such good diy and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top