November 06, 2012

DIY; Double Bow Necklace

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
I used to be so obsessed with decoden - for those of you who don't know, it's a trend from Japan, see here. Heck, I used to be so obsessed with lolita fashion. But now that I've mellowed out, I've only been enjoying only partially-embellished stuff - and since I've been inspired by a video I seen yesterday I wanted to create some decoden-inspired gear. So I made this double bow necklace out of polymer cay. Read on for the tutorial! 

What do you need?
Polymer clay
Cutter
Jump rings
Jewelry pliers
Clasp
Chain
Oven
Pencil 
Pin

It's so easy. Follow the steps below:

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
You might want to lay out wax paper so the clay won't stick on your surface first. Anyway, roll out your polymer clay into a long log and divide into four. Roll out each one and flatten.

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
Pinch the sides like pictured above, and then pinch both sides together. Pinch two of those, and then assemble them like so... whew, that's a lot of pinching. Be careful not to ruin the folds!

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
Next take a small bit of clay, roll it out and flatten it like in the first picture. Wrap it around your bow, cut the excess and flatten it a bit. That's it - you have your bow. 

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
To make holes, it helps to put a pencil or any barrel shaped object inside - it's used to hold the shape. Poke out your circle per usual. 

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
Bake your clay according to the directions on the package. Let it cool, varnish (if you want) and attach your jump rings and chain on it. Necklace done! :)

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay

It's a summery/spring-y bit of jewelry but I feel like this will add a pop of cuteness to every outfit no matter what the season.

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
The options are endless - you can make a ring if you attach it to a base, make a small pair of earrings (like the one in the cover photo - I made two of those tiny bows :D), attach it to a dust plug and make your phone look like a gift or decoden it! :)

double-bow-necklace-polymer-clay
I hope you liked it. As always, leave me a comment because I so love hearing from you guys. Enjoy your day!

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

47 comments :

  1. Amazing! They look so perfect! Have you ever thought of maybe making them a bit smaller, make a bunch of them, and use them for a charm bracelet?
    That would be aborable. You could have a set of matching jewelry!
    I definitely want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would, but I'm not really into bracelets much these days. Although I would make that for my little sister. Thanks for the suggestion and happy crafting! :D

      Delete
  2. This is so cute and simple! I think I may try my hand at crafting with clay for the first time this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll make mine with polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that would be seriously cute! :D

      Delete
    2. Ok, now you've got me obsessing about dotted bows! CUTE! And how cute would some in Minnie Mouse colors be? Wow... will have one for every color outfit soon, I think. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is adorable! Thanks for sharing your technique. It'd look really cute if it was attached as a sort of gift tag for presents for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of work but yeah they would be cute, and reusable too! :)

      Delete
  5. I guess I've got to go out and buy some clay, because these are so freakin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute. Pinning it!
    Hani
    craftionary.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful...............thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so fabulous - I hope you don't mind if I make a couple for my nieces - I've not used polymer clay since school and you've just reignited my obsession :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. enjoy making them, i'm sure your nieces will love them! :)

      Delete
  9. Υπέροχο!!
    Marvelous!! Thank you!!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial :) We have featured it on our site! Thanks!
    http://craftuts.com/double-bow-necklace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feature! :D

      Delete
  11. I am very astonished by the data of this blog and i am happy i had a look in excess of the blog. thank you so much for sharing such great data.
    school bus alamo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog is really informative i really had fun reading it.it is really beneficial.


    ca ring
    wedding ring engagement ring

    ReplyDelete
  13. IT IS Actually Very Useful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Put up Because IT IS Quite Useful FOR ME AS Nicely. HOPING THE Identical Greatest Work IN THE UP COMING Days ALSO. THANK YOU!
    jeff cooper rings
    martin flyer
    vanna k

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG so cute! I love bows for everything! Thanks for this fantastic idea, can't wait to try it!

    Best,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg it is so cute ! But don't u need to dry it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bake them per the instructions in your polymer clay package - no drying time needed, really. :)

      Delete
  16. This is great. I will be using fondant and placing the bows on a cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! Fondant bows would look lovely.

      Delete
  17. Oh wow, this looks simple! Flat out adorable, and since I'm a novice to clay, and wanting to break into it, seems like the perfect starter project! LOVE the blog... I'm all subscribed. Thanks so much for the fabulous idea! I've got no clay lurking in my stash just now, but might try this with some homemade salt clay to give it a whirl. ;)

    Hugs & Hope,
    rachel of OddModicum
    www.OddModicum.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to give it a try with cheap clay at first, and then try and try again. Happy crafting! :)

      Delete
  18. That was beyond easy and inexpensive. I made three for Mother's Day. I lacquered them as well and they were gorgeous! Have my coworkers christmas present idea ready for this year. Awesome craft project. I enjoyed that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the craft! And it's a bit early to think of christmas gifts but I like how you think! Hehe. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS