November 21, 2012

DIY: Glitterized Star Hairpins

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star

I dunno about you, but I tend to use hair accessories more during the colder months, since my necklaces or bracelets (which are my usual staples during the summer time) won't really show while I'm out and about. So I've been browsing my favorite sites for hair accessory inspiration, and I've stumbled upon this gem on ModCloth. I loved it at first sight, but for $17, it's kind of on the expensive side (for a hair accessory, I mean). So enter the DIY. 


I like using stuff that's around the house, so these are the materials that I used for today's DIY:
Glow in the Dark Stars - we all have had them at one point in our life time. I think. :) I used them because they have the perfect star shape and size for me.
Glitter
Mod Podge
Spray Paint
Leather/ Faux Leather
Clear Nail Polish/ Dimensional Glaze
Pins

Let's begin!

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star

First, get your glow in the dark stars and roughen them up a bit - we're going to spray paint them. Why spray paint them you say? So spots that the glitter couldn't cover won't show. Plus you never know, you might just like them spray-painted. :o Anyway, you could skip this step if you want, but I'm just too much of a perfectionist to not do it. Haha!

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star
After the spray paint dries, cover the right side of the star with mod podge. 

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star
Glitter bomb it! Haha.

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star
After the first layer dries, brush another coat of mod podge and then glitterize it again.

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star
After you get the coverage that you want, top with a layer of mod podge. If your star isn't shiny enough when it dries, top it off with clear nail polish or dimensional glaze, and then let it dry again.

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star
To give it a more polished look, get a piece of leather and trace the star on it.

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star
Cut it out, and then cut out a small strip and sew it down - or glue it, whichever you prefer - like pictured above. Then stick it down the wrong side of your star with your E6000 or super glue and then wait for it to dry.

DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star


Slip your hair pin in the small opening on the leather back of your star.


DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star


There you have it! You're done. Again, you can make these for yourself, wear on the upcoming holiday and show it off. Or you can make them as gifts and make somebody's Christmas extra sparkly. 


DIY-glitter-hair-pin-from-glow-in-the-dark-star


What do you think? I specially like the one with chunky glitter. How about you? Anyway, leave me lovely comments and enjoy your week! :)

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

6 comments :

  1. We loved this DIY so much we featured it on Fashion DIYs! {http://mintedstrawberry.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-glitterized-star-hairpins.html}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good thing in buying and wearing trendy beaded jewelry is you do not want to spend thousands of greenbacks to have people who will appreciate your look and your image. Fashionable beaded jewelry like necklaces, earrings and bracelets are available in wide variety of styles and designs. You'll only spend one or two dollars to few hundred bucks depending on the kind of materials you select for your jewelry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS