DIY: Panda-in-Love Sleeping Mask

January flew by so fast - seems like it was only yesterday we were celebrating the new year. Tomorrow we'll be another day closer to Valentines day. I know I've been constantly making Valentines stuff even though I said I didn't really like the holiday, but I guess I just love designing with hearts (I know, I'm a girly-girl at heart, it saddens me). Anyhoo, I've been needing a sleeping mask since I love sleeping in (and I absolutely hate morning light) - so I've made this really cute panda sleeping mask to share with you folks. 

What do you need?
Black, white and red felt - get the good kind if you want your mask to last, otherwise the craft felt you can find at Michaels is fine.
Quilt batting
Sewing machine / Needle and Thread
Freezer paper
Elastic band
Scissors
Iron 
Template (get it here)


First, print your template on the matte side of the freezer paper. Iron on your felt pieces, then cut each piece. Cut batting a bit smaller than the eye mask pattern. I used two layers of quilt batting because I wanted it extra soft. 

Mark a small x on the center of where the eye is gonna be on your mask base like so. 

Then take your batting, pin it and sew it down on the x's. 

Next, check how you want your hearts to be positioned then pin it down on the black felt. Sew the heart on the black felt first before sewing the black felt on the mask. Do the other one too.

It should look like this on the back.


Sew the ears and put stuffing in, or bits of batting.


Get your elastic band, measure a comfortable length around your head, cut it and pin it. Assemble your mask - pinning down the front face to the other mask piece and sandwiching the ears and the elastic in between like so. Sew the whole thing down. 


And you are done! Now time for some snoozing.



Why'd I make pandas you ask? Well, it's because I love them so much. Bunny (my fiance), knows that I love them so much and gave me these two in the past two years. Last Christmas he gave me a sleeping/breathing one too. Don't you think the panda sleeping mask is such a cute addition to my little panda family? :D

Hungry for more Valentine crafts/printables? Here are some from my blog:
1. Robert Fulghum's True Love Quote Poster
2. 8-bit Heart Triangle-Shaped Candy/Favor Boxes
3. Candy Heart Gift Wrap & Matching Tags
4. 15-minute Earrings from Snowflakes


Pandaception! Haha. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Excuse some of the crappy photos, my camera decided to go all RAW files on me, I had to download a kinda-crappy converter. Boo. Anyway, leave me comments lovelies, 'til next time! 

PS. Updates with my computer: My hard drive died. So now, I'm waiting for it to be replaced. Hopefully I can get it next week, expensive thing. Anyway, while we're all waiting for me to fix up my links on the sidebar, please like Minted Strawberry here on Facebook if you haven't yet. Thanks much! :D

PPS. First time linking up - I didn't know it was this easy...Well, not so, cause I mistakenly pt my name on the project name field. Noobish me. Haha! Linked up on: 



29 comments

  1. haha, this is so cute! I was just thinking of making an eye mask for myself! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I made this just in time! No problem Onel :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute project! It's so sunny here, even in the early morning, that I was thinking of buying a sleep mask, but now I think I'll have to make this one instead ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beyond adorable! Definitely making it. ^.^ Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this idea. Only problem is, I don't have a sewing machine and am not really to good at sewing. If I glued the pieces together would it still work well? Also, when you sewed them together did you use the same color threading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would hold if you use fabric glue, and maybe sew down the elastic parts (where they would be connected to the mask, as well as use a sturdier filling/backing). And yes, I used the same color of thread. :)

      Delete
  5. I just made this and I love it!! It's so so so cute! Thanks so much for the pattern and instructions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it, you're welcome!

      Delete
  6. This is adorable. I think I'm gonna make it in pink or blue, if I can find the fabric. =D

    Thank you so much for the pattern and tutorial. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kait! Enjoy making it :)

      Delete
  7. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can't seem to get the pdf to print the pattern. can you help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it would print if you use system dialog? Press ctrl+shift+p for that. :)

      Delete
  9. This is just purely awesome. GONNA DO THIS! thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! :) Thank you so much for this lovely idea!
    Just finished it. Check out http://diy-bvaleria.blogspot.com/2013/08/diy-panda-in-love-sleeping-mask.html

    I love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for showing me your version! You did a great job on it. :)

      Delete
  11. i cant open the template link help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Just click on the link and it'll lead you straight to it. :)

      Delete
  12. the link seems to be broken :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it again! I checked the link and it sure works still :)

      Delete
  13. Super cute mask! I love the animal theme. It would be really neat to have a whole collection of animal masks.

    Chester Jones | http://www.zitomer.com/catalog/sleep-masks/

    ReplyDelete
  14. ���������������� OMG I love u

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top