January 08, 2013

DIY: Sparkly Gemstone Hairpins


A new year means a new color of the year to me. This time around, it's Emerald 17-5641, from Pantone. I love this color - it's near my favorite region of the color wheel and it's my birthstone too. So, what better way to incorporate this color into our wardrobes than by making some accessories right? Make these cute and sparkly hair pins for yourself to incorporate this wonderful color into your wardrobe.

You will need:

Square flat-backed acrylic gems - color shift acrylic gems are recommended, as long as they have green as their main color.
Square gold sequins
Black felt
Bobby pins
Hot Glue/Glue Gun or E6000

This DIY is so easy if not for the fact that I am a perfectionist and want everything on the dead center. Anyway, here is how to make them:

Get your sequin and glue it down - the easiest part, but ironically, took me longer than the other parts, damn my perfectionist side! Hahaha.

Now, stick your rhinestones. You can stick it lined to the square base or in a diamond contrast. I find it easier to use hot glue instead of E6000, cause that thing takes a while to dry.

Don't forget to cut felt as backing for your gemstones - stick it to the bobby pin as I did in this tutorial.

And there you go, super simple and basic, takes less than 10 minutes to make but they're really stunning.

I love how the colors shift with the light - I'm not sure where you can get color shift gemstones anymore but it would be cool if you get some.


These are so glitzy and girly that I love them so much. You can use one, two or stick a bunch in your hair. 



What do you think about this DIY? What have you been DIYing these days? Shoot me some comments, I'd love to hear more from you guys. Enjoy your day! :)

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

2 comments :

  1. pretty! as usual, a classy and girly DIY! :)
    I'd make some if my hair wasn't so thin...they just slip out!
    I've made a transparent mini clutch, waiting to find enough PVC to make a regular size one! ;)
    Demeter
    chocolateandarmani.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. says a lot about me (too girly, lol :D) maybe try it with the snap-on barrettes? they don't usually slide off. And ooh, I had to check your blog out for that, sounds interesting! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS