On Being MIA and My Favorite Android App

Okay, so for some reason my laptop won't boot up - it keeps getting stuck on a black screen. It sucks! And since I do not back up any of my data (yes, I know, it's a bad habit, okay?!) all my logos and such are lost (I hope just temporarily). So while I'm waiting for my precious to be fixed, forgive the lack of DIY posts. Of course, I'll still try to make some stuff with this kind of crappy computer...

Well..


Since I've been forced to use my phone for everything these past few days, I've come across this wonderful wonderful app which tops my app list. It's called Font2Go Font Maker, and it's available in free and paid versions. 
Font from my handwriting v.1.

I've only tried the free version (here) which can only make one font (although in retrospect I guess you could just delete and re-do fonts although that would mean you'd have to install and re-install the fonts that you make since they give you just one .ttf file even if you've modified/saved/re-saved your font; and renaming doesn't work). Also, you can only make letters - capital letters, special characters and numbers are in the paid version. The paid version will also give you the power to make multiple fonts. I've made the second version of my handwriting available for download here

Font from my handwriting, v.2


Anyway, what's the con of this you say? Well, you can only make fonts using your handwriting on your phone - you can refine your letters by using a stylus or something, but in the end, you won't be able to make really cool graphic fonts. Perhaps you could go around and ask everybody to use this app on your phone and then you'd have a whole batch of handwritten fonts! 


They also have this mini editor in which you can add text to your polaroid-like photos. I'm definitely buying the full version (see here) - I'm such a sucker for things like this. Oh, just so you know, this isn't a paid 'review'. I'm just really hyped about this app. Anyway, what do you think? 

8 comments

  1. Great post, I just found this app today but how did you manage to move it over to your computer?

    Love your font, I'm hoping I can make some different ones using the stylus on my husbands Samsung Note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you generate your font preview there's an option to email it, you just email it to yourself (it will email you a .ttf file) and install it on your computer then you're good to go! :D

      It is such a fun app.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your computer. How is it doing by now? Anyway, let's talk about your favorite app here. I think it's pretty handy for Android phones. It can make the font livelier and more fun. With different fonts to choose from, I know for sure that there are some fonts that are fun to read and attractive as well. I'll be downloading the free version for now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alive and well after an operation, thank you for asking! :) And yes, it's handy for making fonts, but I don't think it can be used for changing Android fonts... or maybe that's just me. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere....

      Delete
  3. It’s expected of these mobile apps to have limitations, but they’re still of great help. Anyway, are you still using Font2Go? Since, I suppose, your computer is already up and running, I’m sure you can make better use of this when you’re travelling, as a phone is relatively handier than a computer. And I find it interesting that it improves one’s handwriting. It would bring that unique personal touch to every design you make, no sweat. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still using it, my amusement with this app is still not going away. It's fun, and you have a point with it improving one's handwriting. :)

      Delete
  4. Is it available for the iPad? I have been searching for cool apps like these to fuel my days, and after reading this today, I'm like, oh, okay, I'll get it, and I search the App Store, but, unfortunately, it's not there (!!!) . So, is it? I really hope so!




    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not available on the Apple app store I believe (android user here :D)! But I think your App store has something similar.

      Delete

Back to Top