DIY: Easy & Cute Heart Bracelet


This post's been long overdue, as I was planning to post this more than a month ago, but since the computer meltdown, I've forgotten about it. But as I was rummaging through my computer files, I saw the photos that I took for this. What is this? Well, it's a bracelet with a heart charm - very appropriate for the festivities (tomorrow! - as if I have something to do). What is it made out of? It's cheap and you can get it at the hardware store. I guess you'll just have to read on to find out.

The magic ingredient of today's DIY is....a tile spacer. Yes, a rubber tile spacer. I think I died and went to heaven when I saw this bag of tile spacers at the hardware store for under $3. Oh, the possibilities. I actually have two more jewelry DIYs lined up using this material - I just made this DIY in the spur of the moment (albeit more than a month ago).



So, how do we make this super cute and uber appropriate-for-the-week accessory? Simple. Just:


Cut the tile spacer like so - make a heart shape. Trim carefully until you get nice, clean edges and then sand it down until smooth.



Mark two holes on each 'ear' and then drill them with a really thin drill bit - a 5/64" or a 3/32" one. I loved drilling through this thing because it was really soft and forgiving - you can drill really close to the edge and it won't break easily. Remember, two holes, not one like pictured there - add one more! :)



After that - just paint it (I find that nail polish works better than spray paint), wait for it to dry, and assemble it. To assemble, just attach 10 inches of chain on each 'ear', attach a jump ring on the end of one of the chains and attach a lobster clasp on the other. And you're done!



Another easy peasy DIY with an unconventional material, stay tuned for the next DIY tutorials using this material! Happy Heart's Day to everyone! <3
P.S. Linking this up to:



15 comments

  1. This is too cute! Thanks for sharing ^_^ I'll definitely try it out! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, and enjoy trying it out! :)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! That cute heart charm is actually a tile space {giggles}... Why didn’t I think of that? Great job Aki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't look like it, right? Heehee. Thanks Beckie! :D

      Delete
  3. I have a ton of those things leftover from a project...what a cute idea!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea, Aki! Who knew you could make such a cute bracelet with a tile spacer :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever!!

    Found you via Craftgawker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I'm a cheapie too :) why did you erase cheap after uber?????????!!!
    马怡园

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapie is good! Most of the time anyway. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow...this heart bracelet is one of my best collection...it looks so pretty

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top