Nail Polish: Dirty Newspaper Nails + Heart Bookmark Nails

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish
 AND

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish
Can you believe it, after all these years, this was the first time I ever tried newspaper nails? (And of course, with my perfectionist nature, I just had to wipe it and redo it again and again -.-). I must say, I love my dirty newspaper nails more than my Valentine-themed heart bookmark nails, but since I thought of the heart bookmark nails for the longest time ever, I feel like I have to share it to you too (or else those brain cells that I used to think of this design would have died in vain). Anyhoo, this easy design comes together in less than 30 minutes so read on for the how-to! 

The base design of the heart bookmark nails are my dirty newspaper nails, so let's start with that. Just two-three steps:

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish

First, paint your nails your base color (I chose white, but I recommend a more newspaper-y color, like maybe a REALLY light gray or something, or a really light beige/gray). Dip one nail in alcohol, press a piece of newspaper, wait for about 5 seconds (while pressing really hard!) and then take the newspaper off. I find it easier to press the newspaper with a cotton ball. Do it to each nail, one at a time. If you don't like the results, it's easy to wipe it off with the alcohol, but it would get messier each time - although I suppose that's the point of it all for these nails. Apply a clear coat of nail polish, wait for it to dry. 

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish
Next, get nail polish that's the same (or almost the same) color as the newsprint. Get a sponge, dab some of the nail polish on the sponge, dab off excess on a piece of paper, then sponge LIGHTLY on the nail. 

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish
I kinda botched the ring finger. Anyway, top coat that and you have your dirty newspaper nails! But, if you want those hearts....

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish
Just take a pin with a rounded head, or a dotting tool, and carefully draw a heart on one corner of your finger. Finish it with a topcoat.

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish
And there you have your heart bookmark nails! Easy peasy right :) 

newsprint-nails-heart-bookmark-polish
This design is kinda bookwormy and girlish but I kinda like it now. Anyhoo, what are your plans this coming V-Day? I want to hate on it cause I don't have my hun-buns with me, but I really love my hun-buns and the theme, not the holiday, just the theme. Heehee. Leave your comments, suggestions and violent reactions down below and as always, enjoy your week!

PS. I know, I know - like Minted Strawberry on Facebook here! Heehee. 

6 comments

  1. So super cute. I do have a question though, I tried doing newspaper nails a while back and when I applied the top coat the wording/ink smudged and spread. I was majorly disappointed. I was wondering if you had that problem?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smudged a bit, but I think the technique to it not smudging a lot is applying as few strokes as possible of the clear polish. Actually, I just apply a thick coat of fast drying clear polish with about 2-3 strokes per nail. :)

      Delete
    2. Hm! Perhaps that was my problem. Maybe before too long I'll work up the gumption to try again! Thanks a heap!! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm in LOVE with the heart book mark nails!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top