DIY: Chain Cage Pearl Earrings

Sometimes you just see something that you fall completely in love with - if it was in another color. That was the case when I saw these Gemma Redux 'White Pearl Waterfall Earrings' at RenttheRunway.com. I didn't like the whole girly-elegant vibe and wanted a younger, punk-rockish version that would go well with a lot of things, in my opinion. I decided I'd DIY it - in black. How, you ask? Well, I guess you should read on!

What do you need:

Different sized jewelry chain links
Jewelry pliers, cutters
Beads
Steel wire - I used 24 gauge
Earring hooks
Jump rings

gifs
Cut your steel wire and make a loop as illustrated above. 


Now, cut your chains to different lengths - for mine, the longest was about 4.5".  I used three kinds of chain.

Thread your chains as shown. Then thread your pearl.

Next, thread the ends of your chains to the steel wire again as shown in the image above.

Finally, turn it upside down (for easier access) and secure everything by looping the end of the steel wire and cutting the excess. 

Attach your earring hooks and you're done! :)

I think it's a pretty versatile piece and really punk-y too. I love it! The tangled-ness of the chain actually adds to the beauty of it. But you can untangle it if you're OC about it - I almost did. @_@

I don't like showing my face but I have no model for this, lol. Well, what do you guys think? Shoot me some comments and love down in the comments box and as always, enjoy!

12 comments

  1. Very sweet.I can see making a few of these with blown glass beads. Thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that would look really nice. Hope you enjoy making them. And you're welcome, Sunira! :)

      Delete
  2. Your DIY projects are always my favorites. I don't understand how you don't have 10000 followers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danny! I love that comment of yours. <3

      Delete
  3. i love love love this!! Can you tell me where you got that bead from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got that from a broken necklace, actually. You can probably get a similar one on Etsy here :)

      Delete
  4. So beautiful earrings, you're so great, thanks for sharing. cheap pearl earrings for women

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another good thing in buying and wearing trendy beaded jewelry is you do not want to spend thousands of greenbacks to have people who will appreciate your look and your image. Fashionable beaded jewelry like necklaces, earrings and bracelets are available in wide variety of styles and designs. You'll only spend one or two dollars to few hundred bucks depending on the kind of materials you select for your jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great style!! Cant wait to try these. Love all your jewelry!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these shall be making them today. Thank you for the tutorial. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. The earrings are very lovely. By the way you are too. Don't sell yourself short, remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top