March 27, 2013

DIY: Easy Usamimi (Rabbit Ear) Headband + How to Style Blunt Bangs + BlogHer Hair Sweepstakes

Usamimi means "Rabbit Ears" (usagi means rabbit + mimi means ears in Japanese.) 
I love wearing usamimi headbands. I know - it's been in trend since like, a year ago or two - but I figured, since it's almost Easter (and having this ongoing bunny trend during the season) I'd show you an easy way to make your own rabbit ear headband that doesn't involve using wire, it's more like a cheater headwrap that will sit perfectly on your hair every single time :) Keep on reading for the how-to as well as to check out the video and enter the BlogHer Hair Sweepstakes!

What will you need:
Bunny Ear Pattern (downloadable here)
Fabric
Scissors
Sewing machine - or just needle and thread
Pins
Steam iron
1/2" thick elastic


Print your pattern. Cut up a 6" x 6.5" piece of fabric (for the small bunny ear pattern). Fold it on the short side right side in and pin your pattern. I like bending the pins a bit so the pattern will lay flat (or at least flatter). Sew around the pattern - you don't have to follow it to a T - it's just a basic shape guide.


Cut around, leaving 1 cm space around the sewn shape. And before I forget - don't sew all around, leave a bit of space as shown in the photo above - you'd want to be able to turn it inside out! You'll want to cut little grooves on that 1 cm space around it, being careful not to cut through the sewn line. Iron it before turning it inside out.


This is what it should look like after those steps.


Next, take a 1.5" x 8" piece of fabric fold it inwards (like when you're making bias tape). Sew the sides down. Make a knot in the middle.


Get your hair band, assemble like so and stitch the backside of the knotted fabric like so - folding it so you'll have clean edges. And then you're done!


And you know, if you're a bit apprehensive about the whole bunny ear thing - just sew it upside down, would look more mature and more like the head wraps that you tie up. 



Wear it whichever way you want - I love wearing this + kinda side-swept blunt bangs + semi-curly hair. Speaking of blunt bangs - who has problems styling them? I know I do. That's why I chose this BlogHer TV video to share with you - it shows you the easiest way of styling your beautiful bangs.


Also, don't forget to enter BlogHer's Hair Sweepstakes! For more information, you may go here:
https://www.blogher.com/blogher-tv-weekly-hair-style-sweepstakes

And also, the sweepstakes rules are here if you need to check them out:
http://www.blogher.com/hair-sweepstakes-official-rules-week-2

I made one for my sister too, because I can't resist. :) 

Hope you found the tutorial and the video informative! I hope it'll inspire you to recreate this favorite look of mine for the upcoming Easter festivities - it's just so cute isn't it. Don't forget to leave me your thoughts in that comment box down there, I love hearing from you guys. Enjoy the rest of your week!
Of course, I partied at these awesome blogs:

   504 Main

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

14 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Oops, I've done that already :) I should put the badge on shouldn't I. lol :)) Thanks though!

      Delete
  2. Love it, i made one of each size and plan to make more, i will be wearing my bunny ears to work next week (i work for a vet, we see a lot of rabbits so i thought it would be fitting lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you loved it and made some. :D And it is very fitting. :))

      Delete
  3. I love this DIY and the headbands are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I'm going to make my own and link to your blog :))

    OhCindyrella~ Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Have fun making it! :)

      Delete
  5. Meredith Foster used your idea! I love it, btw :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS