DIY: Spiked Porcupine/Urchin Decor



Don't you think it's fun to craft up decor? I am constantly thinking of ways to transform cheap, everyday materials into something that gives off a wow factor - dreaming up some relatively easy and some impossibly hard projects is a chronic habit of mine, and sometimes, it doesn't turn out the way I imagine it to (revising projects is another sickness I have). Most of the time, I end up just writing it on my idea notebook, which, I must say, is a very handy tool to write stuff on since I forget 99% of the time - who else is like that? I hope I'm not the only one. Haha! I dreamt of this while I was taking a really long shower (a really good place to think of ideas in). Anyway, read on to find out how to make this thing!


What you will need:
Plastic easter egg (lower half)
200++ toothpicks
Drill with 1/16" drill bit and a crazy obsession with drilling holes
Sandpaper
Hot glue gun
Air-drying clay
Spray paint


Drill holes, starting from the very top, working around the egg.


Drill until you reach the bottom. It took me two hours of working on it and taking really long breaks. LOL.

Sand the surface. 


Start poking the toothpicks, jamming them in real tight. I highly recommend you guys to be angry at something while doing this, it's much easier - it's so much like voodoo-ing (which, in case you're wondering, I don't really know how to do) You can ask other people, even kids to help with this - I asked my little sister! Just make sure they don't poke their eyes or something.


When you've poked about half of the egg, use hot glue to hold the toothpicks in place (drizzling the whole inside with glue). But you could take the easy way and just stick a ball of air-drying clay inside there. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to the said material while I was working on this so hot glue was the only option. Hahaha.


It will look like this when you're all done with the poking and the gluing.


After all that's done with, spray paint! I used Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze, but I would have preferred it to be gold. With this color, it looks kinda evil *raises one eyebrow*. You can spray several coats, I just used a bit (I like the partially unfinished look, and besides, I think my can ran out of the propellant or something...is there anyway to use what's left in the can? I still have about 1/4 in there ._.)


After drying, just place it anywhere you like! I especially like it as a vase topper as opposed to a stand-alone thing, but that may be just because I feel like the bottom part needs more spikes.


My little brother said it looked like a porcupine. I was intending it to be a sea anemone. What do you think it looks like? Make me happy and say it looks like a sea anemone in the comments - lol! It's the weekend again, enjoy it and hope you guys stay safe! :)

Edit 3/12: I totally forgot about sea urchins, LOL. That's why I edited thanks to the comments below! :)

Also, linking up here:












8 comments

  1. It's a sea urchin! Beautiful (and delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're right! I totally forgot about sea urchins, haha! :D

      Delete
  2. I second the sea urchin. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another vote for the sea urchin...it won't fit in my home but definitely a clever idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it would in a different color or as summer decor? Anyway, thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. starting one or two this evening...love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy making it and not end up getting frustrated after drilling 5000+++ holes! :D

      Delete

Back to Top