DIY: Triple Star Hair Chain

Hair jewelry - yep, that's what this is. I'm not really one for extravagant hair pieces like this, but when I thought about making this, I got excited. I don't know when I'm going to wear this but for sure I'll find an excuse to rock this sometime soon. Read more to learn how you can make your own! 

What do you need?
Wood stars (got mine at Michaels)
Drill with 3/32 drill bit 
Nail polish
Black felt
Scissors
Bobby pins
Hot glue gun/E6000
Jump rings
Chain
Jewelry pliers 


Drill your stars as shown - two holes on the biggest (drill one hole each on two arms), one hole each for the medium and the small sizes. Sand holes and edges if needed.


Paint with nail polish. I so love crafting with nail polish, lol - you can use other methods of coloring this - I just really prefer nail polish on most of my crafts because it dries faster than most paint stuff and has more colors/finishes to choose from. Anyway, let that dry, paint the other side and let that dry as well. 


Sandwich your tiny squares of felt between your bobby pins, then glue down (right side down) the back of the stars. Make sure you pay attention where the bobby pins are pointing to.


Now it's time to assemble it - just follow the image above and the detailed image below. 


Make sure to cut the lower chain longer than the upper one (mine has excess of about 3 inches) so you get that nice drape. The star drop is optional - I just thought it would be really cute to add one.



Yay my head is dancing! Lol. Anyway, there you have it! Cute, right? Boho but cute, I would say. You can wear it with a bun or with your hair down - now to just find an occasion to wear this thing to...


What are your thoughts about this project? Cute or not for you - tell me in the comments! And as always, I hope you guys are having a great week!

Hey! I'm linking up here:

15 comments

  1. I love headpieces and post a lot of them on my blog, and I really like this one with the draping and dangling star. I posted two finished photos of your headpiece and a link back to you on truebluemeandyou. It's now featured on the Tumblr DIY tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking it and linking me back! :D

      Delete
  2. Very cute and pretty <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet and so simple will be pulling out stuff to so do this

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely wonderful :)
    And they're so easy to make!
    I don't have wooden stars, but I've got lots of glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling from my childhood which I guess I could use :D

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you could use those too! I just find it harder to paint on stuff like that, takes longer to dry than wood, but then it would have a smoother finish as compared to the wood-grainy one that I made. :D

      Delete
  5. This is so lovely! I am going to run out and pick up supplies this afternoon.
    I did notice one small issue with your tutorial, though. My internet connection has been poor lately, so I was reading through the directions before the images loaded. The first instruction tells me to drill "two holes on each arm for the biggest, one hole each for the medium and the small sizes". But two holes on each arm = 10 holes, 2 in each arm of a 5-pointed star. I was wondering why so many holes, before the image loaded. So instead I will be putting 2 holes total in the large star, and one hole in each smaller star, like the image (that I can finally see) indicates. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, minor mistake (the cons of not really proofreading. lol) thanks for pointing that out! I edited the post already :D

      Delete
  6. How long is the chain? Angeline the cheapie who used lace for the braid headband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shorter one for mine is about 6 - 7 inches. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I am looking forward to your future awesome posts! And, BTW, you sure do seem to enjoy crafting with stars. But I'm also sure that you're probably aware of that already. ;)

      Delete
  7. OMG!!!This is soooo nice! I'm gonna try make it with my friends! Your blog has so many awesome stuffs I wanna make!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy visiting my blog and looking around :)

      Delete

Back to Top