DIY: Wide Scallop Shorts - Make it Three Ways

I initially thought this would be another DIY fail - for some reason when I try DIYing clothes it always ends up a bust. But thank God it didn't! Haha. I thought these shorts were lacking something, that's probably why I figured I could make it/ wear it three different ways. Read on for the tutorial! :) 

My inspiration came from this Bow Crepe Shorts from Go Jane. It was a bit too short for my liking, plus it's out of stock now!


From Go Jane


What do you need: 
Pair of denim pants/shorts
Round object
Fabric Marker
Sewing machine or needle and thread
Scissors
Ruler
Optional stuff - black lace, dye, bleach


If you have pants, cut them up by using a not so short pair of shorts as your guide. Or you can also wear them and mark where you want them to end, and add a bit of length for hemming. 


For me it's easier to fold in the center, fold where the mark for the end is, and then cut - you may do something like this or whatever method of cutting you prefer. 


Next, take one leg's seams and bring them together like in the photo - so you'll end up folding the front part of the leg on itself. Measure and mark about 2" and 1.5" - or how high you want the edge of your scallop to be. 


Round it by using a round flat object like a plate or the lip of a vase - mark as shown in the photo.


Mark and cut the outer circle. 


Snip from the peak of the outer circle to the peak of the inner as shown in the photo. 


Hem it if you want a clean edge. By this step I thought it needed color (I bleached these pants a few months ago) so I dyed it with a wine red color.


Color the edge of your pants with a marker - I used a black fabric marker. Add any additional details that you want. And you are done! Now to show you how to wear it. 










Wear it plain!

I specially love how it looks sideways. Excuse my very fat legs. 

You can also wear it folded like so - it gives you a unique cuffed shorts look. 

But lastly, you can sew some lace on it - looks a bit flirty and lingerie-ish but I think this is just perfect!

I think I'm going to make more in different colors, as I'm currently loving colorful shorts. What color combinations do you think would look good with this? Shoot me some comments and have a wonderful weekend!
PS. Hey, enter round 2 of BlogHer's hair sweeps by checking this post of mine out!

PPS. Linking up here:

  

6 comments

  1. They're so cute! I think I'll give the lace a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope they work out for you! :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute! And you do NOT have fat legs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks for that! My mother keeps saying I do. :S

      Delete
    2. Very Creative and cute!
      Im 15 years old and my legs look just like yours! As for your mother, I think you are beautiful and your legs are fine! If everyone had skinny legs we would all look the same! Some guys don't like skinny girls anyway and some don't like fuller girls. Besides, You should be judged by your personality and I'm sure you are absolutely gorgeous! A quote that has gotten me out of hating my body is “You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.” ― Dita Von Teese
      Just remember that x

      Delete
  3. I'm so gonna try this! x
    flowersandlaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top