Nail Polish: Gilded Nails

This post has been long overdue - I was planning to post this before Easter, but I had so many things to do I wasn't able to find time to do nail art. But hey, gilded nails isn't just for Easter, right? So read on to find out how I achieved this effect, it's super easy I swear! 


The secret, natural loofahs of course - the ones that are coarse and shriveled up at first but when you drench it in water it'll expand. I think they're called facial sponges. Still don't know what I'm talking about? check this out here. Here's how I did it: 

Wet your sponge. Here I used a week-old previously wet sponge (that's why it's expanded already - more on that later). Sponge your painted nails with a gold or silver color. 

Sponge until you've achieved your desired effect. Don't worry if there's too much gold/silver, we'll fix that later. This is how it's supposed to look like for now. 

Now take your base nail color and put some on the sponge to sponge randomly and lightly on the nail, lessening the gilded effect but making it look better and chunkier (in my opinion). 

Apply top coat and clean the skin surrounding the nail and you're done!

Now, some tips:
1. Use the week (or maybe even just a day) old previously wet sponge that's dry already if you want a coarser look. For a softer, more solid gilded effect, wet your sponge (and ring out excess water) before using it (see photo below using this softer wet sponge). 
2. Don't press on the nail too much, wet or dry, the sponge will leave deep marks if too much pressure is applied, and that generally doesn't look good. 
3. Use regular (and not fast-dry) top coat, as fast dry top coats usually are streaky and will mess up the gilded effect. Also, when applying top-coat, try to apply as less strokes as possible. 


This effect kinda looks like crackle but in my opinion it's much classier looking (I wasn't really one for crackle polish, don't own one can you believe it?). It may be too late for Easter but I have no problem rocking this nail design every now and then, I seriously love it against a minty color. Now tell me, how about you guys, any nail trends you're obsessing with lately? As always, leave me your thoughts down there on that comments box and I hope you have a good week! :) 
Of course I linked up:

Love Grows Wild

7 comments

  1. I LOVE the look of this! Great idea! I really need to paint my nails more often. Thanks so much for partying with us at Time to Sparkle Tuesday : )

    xoxo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fabulous!! {unsolicited blog tip: make your "read more" text link button larger. I could barely find it ;}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and super thanks for the blog tip. Working on that now :)

      Delete
  3. I really love this!! OPI has a new gold top coat but I really prefer this method!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, they do, but they're a bit expensive o.o

      Delete
  4. I love your nails ! Was wonder what u use to clean up ur skin or is ur gold "paint" nail polish ? Thanks, can't wait to to my nails !

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top