DIY: Acrylic Statement Earrings

Today I made some faux perspex statement earrings - I've been mulling around on what to use, since I've been planning on making my own version - I've seen people use thick plastic and shrink plastic to create the same effect but I wanted something more...solid. So I decided to experiment with an acrylic photo frame (the one you get at the store for about a buck?) and this is what I came up with. I swear it may look hard but it's really easy! So read on for the full tutorial. 

To make the same earrings that I've made, you will need:

Acrylic photo frame
Box cutter / X-acto knife
Metal ruler
Sticker paper/Transfer paper
Drill fitted with 1/16" bit
Plastic canvas
Embellishments
E6000 glue
Flat earring posts
Spray paint (in gold)
Scissors
Cutting mat
Sandpaper


Ew you could totally see my watch tan line. LOL. Anyway - using a metal ruler and a box cutter/ x-acto knife, score your photo frame a few times.


With force, break your acrylic at where you scored it. I used the stand because I wanted to conserve material for more 'perspex' pieces :D


Now get some transfer paper and make your design - i'd recommend this method only for geometric designs without any inward angles. For this piece I cut up a 1" x 1" piece of transfer paper (as it leaves no residue compared to contact paper or sticker paper on the acrylic). Line the longest part of your design with the straightest part of your acrylic piece. Using the transfer paper as the guideline, cut up your acrylic. You will want to start with the side that would eliminate the most material - score that side a few times.


Flip that acrylic piece. Line up your ruler with the scored line that you made - apply pressure and snap the piece quickly. This would yield a clean line. 


See that clean line? Do the same thing on the side that would eliminate the most material again - until you get to the side with the least material. 


If you ever get an imperfect side, just snip off the excess with some good scissors. Sand the edges and round them up a bit - you might want to use a rotary tool to minimize the scuffing on the surface.


Mark where you want to drill the holes. When drilling, the technique is to go slow, as acrylic isn't really thick - it punctures easily.


Embellish your acrylic piece - I used a big metal-backed rhinestone surrounded by bright-colored tiny ones that I got at Michaels on clearance. Wait for the glue to dry before you attach the flat earring post. 


You may stop at this point provided you didn't drill the holes that you can see in the photo above - but if you did, well, let's move on!




Cut up plastic canvas as seen in the photo above - you want it to line up with the holes of your acrylic piece and at least have two rows. Cut as close to the line as possible so you won't have plastic jutting out. Spray paint with whatever color your choose - I wanted a gold accent so I sprayed mine gold!

Once it's dry - attach it to your piece using jump rings.


And you are done! Yaaaaay!

I really like how these turned out. Planning to wear this with a sheer, plain top. How about you guys - are you loving the clear/plastic/perspex/lucite trend like I do? Leave me your thoughts at the end of the post... you know where :)  And I do hope you have a swell weekend... I know I will, I'll be heading to the beach tomorrow with Bunny. :3

6 comments

  1. Hah, I remember when we had to work with acrylic in school, and I could never snap the acrylic without butchering it up :)

    I want to make acrylic robot earrings because you can never have enough robot jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key is to score it quite a few times and have enough acrylic to snap :O and ooh, robot earrings sound cool... I might try and make some! :D

      Delete
  2. These are very nice..ive worked with plastic canvas also..it is fun to use to make earring and necklaces..cutting different shapes and glueing on gem stones and hanging beads from..etc.it can get your creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know it's so fun working with plastic canvas up to now I'm still thinking of projects to do with it. :)

      Delete

Back to Top