DIY: Elegant Flourish Necklace - Make it three ways!

I haven't been to Michaels a whole lot these days. When I go, I usually mill around and look for things to craft with. I saw the perfect things to make as necklaces in the scrapbooking corner, so I bought them and set off to make this pretty elegant necklace - learn how to make one after the jump!


Have you seen these babies at Michaels? I thought they'd be perfect! They're made by a company called Momenta and they're metal photo corners for scrapbooking. These are kinda like the ones I used, except the ones I got were bigger. Apart from these, you'll also need:
Chain
Jump rings
Lobster clasp
Jewelry pliers
Spray paint (optional)
Drill fitted with a 5/64 bit (or smaller, depending on the size of your metal photo corner)


So, you get your photo corners and you peel off whatever's in the back - in this case, since it's a sticker it had sticky foam at the back that was really easy to peel. Clean it properly, take off whatever residue that sticker left. 



Get your drill and drill two holes (one on each end of the photo corner). Don't worry about this step, it's relatively easy, specially if you're handy with a drill. The metal wasn't really that hard either. It would be easier to mark where you want to drill before you go off drilling though - in my case I used the end flourish as my guide. After drilling, spray paint with your color of choice if desired. I am so into gold these days I decided to spray paint them with my handy dandy gold spray paint. Wait for that to dry. Now assemble - you have three options here actually:


You can just do one - make it really simple and layer it with other necklaces. Or maybe..


You can use two, like a collar, and add a long strand in the middle (or a bead). Or you can do it my way and use three (like in the photo below!) - have an elegant statement necklace to adorn your neck.


I'm actually torn on how to wear this.  How about you guys - which one do you prefer? In any case you really should try making this, it's easy and inexpensive and so so pretty. Well, go on, make it! And of course leave me your lovely thoughts and suggestions. I hope you guys have a good week! 

Linking up to these great parties:

  

12 comments

  1. Wow, so pretty, Aki! I love every one of them, but my most favorite has to be the second one with a long strand of chain going down. Another creative use of the frame corner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Onel! And yes, I am leaning to that one too. More versatile, haha!

      Delete
  2. what a truly unique idea, and it looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO fun!! I love how creative this is. I make jewelry too and I should definitely think outside the box like this more. I featured this idea in my 10 Fabulous Summer DIYs list today on my blog! http://www.missloviecreations.blogspot.com/2013/06/my-favorite-things-thursday-10-fabulous.html You can come check it out and grab a button if you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature Allie! Glad you loved my project :)

      Delete
  4. So cute! I saw some of these while I was at the craft store but didn't by any, as I don't own a power drill.
    My favorite is the one with the chain hanging down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one of your friends might have one you can borrow? If not you can also get the other metal corners with holes closer to the edge, might save you from having to drill a hole :) Everybody seems to love that one the most! :)

      Delete
  5. These are so cute and creative. I'm always looking for non-jewelery supplies to make jewelery out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! I'm like that too. It's more fun that way, I feel. :)

      Delete

Back to Top