DIY: Aztec-Inspired Earrings from Shrink Plastic

If you guys remember, last month I made these Art Deco-inspired Earrings and blogged it over at A Nest for All Seasons. I still had a lot of leftover shrink plastic after that so I made some random jewelry stuff - one of them being these cute Aztec-inspired stunners. It is seriously so easy to make these so I suggest you read on for the how-to!

What you need:
Shrink plastic - any color will do, as it will be spray painted anyway!
Scissors or an X-acto knife
Jump rings
Earring hook/base
Spray paint or nail polish
Drill with 1/16" bit


Download and print the pattern or make your own. Trace four pieces of this pattern and cut. It might seem really big, but keep in mind your pieces will shrink to about 40% of its original size. Mine has a finished size of 1.6" across when baked so if you would want something smaller than that then just resize the pattern. 


Bake them according to your manufacturer's instructions - remember, if the heat's too low, it will shrink unevenly and really high heat will make it wavy. Best way is to bake a test piece first before baking your cuttings so you know what your oven's magic temperature is. Anyway, after baking them mark where you want to drill holes - and yes friends, I like making the holes after baking them since it turns out more uniform than when I put holes before baking them - for me anyway. But it's your preference! You'll want to add two holes on each of the lower pieces and three holes on each of the upper ones. Refer to the photo for the placement!


Paint your piece after making your holes. I used my favorite gold spray paint - Rustoleum Specialty Metallic in Gold (you know, the one with the super shiny cap). It doesn't really take long to dry, but give each side of your pieces two or three coats. 


Now assemble it! Take your jump rings and thread through the upper piece and the lower piece and close. Do the same on the other side. Your earring piece should resemble a diamond-ish shape. Do the same for your other earring piece.


Attach it to your earring hook or base of choice and voila!


What I really love about these things is that you can color them whatever you want - here I was going for the brass look so I spray painted it gold. But you know, it's up to you. What else do you plan on making with shrink plastic? Share your ideas down in the comments box below! Enjoy the rest of your week <3

P.S. Don't forget to enter my {Styled} by Tori Spelling giveaway here. It ends on Friday, July 12 at 12:00 midnight EST. I will announce the winner the next day. So hurry up! :) 

Linking up here:

             The 36th Avenue    
What I Whipped Up Wednesday @ Sugar and Dots
Dandelion Wishes Wednesday @ Ashley's Dandelion Wishes


16 comments

  1. Helllllllloooooooo there! It's Angeline....... I was wondering, instead of using store bought, could I cut small pieces from the flat part of a clamshell? You know, those things you get salad in at grocery stores? Also, I have clearly stated a post request!!!!!!! In the last post, the giveaway,!!!!! ( tries to look menacing and intimidating so Aki will be scared)

    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look under the plastic and it has this #6 symbol on it, it's a good substitute. It's supposed to be the same material. I haven't tried it yet though! And idk about other plastics. And I just replied to that :3

      Delete
  2. Those are amazing, great idea! xx

    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these! They really look like metal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! I think most things would look metallic if you spray them with the right type of spray paint :)

      Delete
  4. It's cool that the earrings are made from plastic, I thought they were metal! I've never heard of shrink plastic, do you just get it from craft stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the magic of the spray paint! Haha. Anyway, you can get shrink plastic at craft stores or online. They're the same as shrinky dinks, which is shrink plastic marketed for kids crafts. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this project! I love the Aztec feel that you went with! I would love it if you would come and link this up at my link party
    http://www.ashleysdandelionwishes.com/2013/07/dandelion-wishes-wednesday-10.html. I'm also pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linking up as we speak! Thanks for the invite :3

      Delete
  6. How cute is this!? Love the shape you chose. They turned out really cool.
    ~Kelsy
    http://looseendscraftblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was playing around with shapes, I made a few more that's kind of like it but a bit different. Anyway, thanks Kelsy! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi dear, what a fabulous post and your blog is wonderful, did we follow each other already? if not, would you like to follow each other? if you decided to follow me on BLOGLOVIN, please let me know so I can follow you back

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3831938/love-joice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking up to
    Dandelion Wishes Wednesday! You are being featured tonight, so come by and grab a button! I'm also pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top