July 22, 2013

DIY: Chan Luu Inspired Teardrop Earrings

While perusing the interwebs the other day, I stumbled across these gorgeous earrings from Chan Luu as I was window-shopping at Net-A-Porter. They're really pretty, but for $90 a pop, I wasn't going to buy them (not in the near future anyway) - so off I went to my jewelry-making stash to see if I had materials to make something similar and I did! Read on to find out how. :) 

What you need for this DIY:
Beads - similar color and shape, different sizes (at least one big one, some medium ones and small ones)
Wire
Jewelry chain - the smaller the better
Earring hardware
Jump rings
Jewelry pliers



Cut a length of wire, then thread your beads on it, making sure that the biggest bead is on the center, flanked by two or three medium beads and then two small beads on the outer end. Just eyeball to make sure your sequence looks pleasing to the eye and you'll be fine :D


Add your first chain by threading each end of the chain to the wire - I used 18 chain links for my first chain layer. Then add two small beads - one on each end, and add your second chain link after. For every chain 'layer' I subtracted two chain links so it'll become shorter and shorter and would have a uniform droop. If by chance you use a smaller chain, subtract more chain links than I did. Anyway - add more beads and chains until you get to your desired look. For mine, I added four chains until I was satisfied.


Time to close up your teardrop earring - take some jewelry pliers and make a loop on one side of your wire and then wrap it around itself like shown above.


Take the other side of the wire and wrap it around the wrapped portion of the looped wire on the other end - lol I know that sounds so confusing so look at the photo above instead. :D


Your teardrop shape will look a bit off so form it to the shape that you want - mine turned out skinny so I used my hands to make my earring look wider.


Attach your earring hardware to the loop atop the teardrop shape with a jump ring.


And then you're done! I love how mine turned out - for me it's better than my inspiration because the colors and the hardware are exactly my style. It doesn't hurt that I didn't pay anything for these either cause I used materials that I had on hand. :3


They did turn out bigger than the inspiration though. But that's a-ok with me. What do you think, friends? Would you make something like this? In what color? Drop me your lovely comments - you know I love reading them. And I hope you have a fantabulous week! :) 

Linking up here:

      

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

25 comments :

  1. these look great, so simple yet so pretty! xx

    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is like, everything, wrap bracelets to earrings inspired by Chan Luu? What the heck is Chan Luu anyway?! Sorry, just curious. Pretty though. Sighs. I wish my ears were pierced, and then I would totes rock black dangly earrings everyday, along with a black wool shirt, puffy black skirt, grey knee high socks, and black leather boots....sighs again. Well, I could try to make this in ear cuff form.

    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a jewelry designer Angeline :) And you can use clip-on earrings instead of normal earring backs!

      Delete
  3. How's the wedding coming and going, if its come yet? When is it? Good luck! Angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'm so excited! I'm leaving for Shanghai, China in...today's the 23rd, rahhhht? In NINE DAYS! Please, when is your wedding? Will you really DIY all of it? Angeline PS. have you commented on Ms. Nagao's blog yet? That sketch is really cool, and the charity is worth helping!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the wedding is still a year away. I am still in the planning stage so yeah...I hope I can DIY most of it! :) And no I haven't yet, but I will when I get the chance to look over the content more! I'm just trying to find time :D And have a happy trip, be safe! :)

      Delete
  4. So cute, so simple! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good information and nice post.
    I hope you can followback
    By: GoHealth Blog | Health tips

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just LOVE these...I'm off to rummage through my stash as I think I have just the beads for this project :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them! So very simple. Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! glad you love them!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial. I love them. They look fabulous on you. Now it's time for me to see if I can do it to. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so hard, I'm pretty sure you can do it! And thanks! :) Happy crafting!

      Delete
  9. I just love these! They do look good on you. Thanks for the tutirial. I am going to try them for my neice who just had a baby. The mommy needs something too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia! Hope you have a good time crafting them up :)

      Delete
  10. I just finished making 8 pearl bracelets for my niece's wedding and ordered way to many pearls. Better safe than sorry! Now I know what I can use the leftover pearls for! Guess what my daughters an nieces are getting for Christmas? Thank you so much for the excellent tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's never bad to have too many supplies. Have fun making them! :)

      Delete
  11. I am new to jewelry and learning by trial and error. I am attempting to make these lovely earrings and can't seem to get the right size wire. Can you tell me what gauge wire you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I used either a 16 gauge or 18 gauge wire. It just has to be thick enough to hold shape. :)

      Delete
  12. I purchased 16 gauge wire but the holes in the beads are too small. I will try different beads. Thank you for being so helpful. That's very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!! Thank you for such lovely earrings!!! I copied exactly as you had demonstrated cos I had all the different sizes, etc. Now I want to experiment with different colors, maybe some charms......wherever my mind takes me. I want to thank you too. This was the first time I read everything, made sure I had all my supplies cut and counted.......and they turned out perfectly.
    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Aki! I just now stumbled across your blog. I wanted to tell you that I clicked on the link and went to see Chan Luu's design. I have to tell you, your's . . . look EVERY BIT as good as his did. AND MAYBE BETTER! You did a great job explaining the steps and you made excellent use of your photograph angles to provide guidance. Keep up the great work! Who know's . . . maybe someday you can be the "next" (female) Chan Luu! I look forward to browsing through the rest of your blog! Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS