DIY: Drab to Fab Binder Re-Vamp

One essential for wedding planning (especially when you're planning to DIY most of it) is having a binder to have all your information organized in one spot. But it's not really fun to plan the wedding when your main tool is all...ugly. It has to be inspiring too, doesn't it? While it's easy to buy something cute at the store, I'd rather make it myself (because part of the fun is making it yourself right? And also because I'm cheap lol). This tutorial is also handy for teenagers and university students who would want to go back to school with a custom one-of-a-kind binder (that looks oh-so-pretty, really). It's so easy, too, so let's get started!

What you need for this:
Cheap binder
Contact paper
Scissors / X-acto knife
Spray paint of your choice
Newspaper (or anything you can use to protect surfaces with)
Goo gone (or Goop cleaner) 


Start off with a really ugly run-of-the-mill plain binder. I got mine from Target, it cost about $1. 


Get some contact paper, and then cut strips of it using the guideline at the back. I like using contact paper vs. tape because I can vary the width of the strips with the contact paper. With my grid, I cut off strips that were 'two-box' width and 'one-box' width. :3


Now start laying your strips (fatter ones first). Cut off the excess - you don't want to have excess strips poking out off the other side of your line. 



Pile on your strips until you get your desired effect.


Don't forget to cover the areas you don't want to get paint on with some contact paper and newspaper scraps. 


Spray paint - my favorite part! Haha. I used gold, as usual, because I'm obsessed with the color. Plus it's one of the colors of my wedding, too. Wait for that to dry. Once dry (mine dried under 15 minutes) peel off your contact paper strips.



Clean off remaining contact paper residue with some goo gone or goop cleaner. And you are done!



I really loved how it turned out and while I don't really have a reason to buy more binders I just might get more to make more of these and then have a really organized workspace (although that would only be in my dreams...) I didn't want to make it all too girly/frilly/wedding-y because I want to be able to use it after, too. So yeah. What do you guys think of this easy peasy DIY? What design would you make with this technique? Well I hope you enjoyed it and I hope the rest of the month will be fun for you! 
Linking up as usual!:

      

18 comments

  1. Thank you so much for the follow.^^
    Follow you back on bloglovin and gfc,too.
    Do you also follow me on gfc?
    Lovely greets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just did! Love your outfit posts btw. :)

      Delete
  2. this is so easy, i'm gonna do it too ;) thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoy making it!

      Delete
  3. wow, this looks great, amazing idea! xx

    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martyna! Glad you like it! X3

      Delete
  4. Wow, since I'm leavin' for Shanghai tomorrow (!!) , maybe I will do some last minute packing? And then, at Shanghai, I will NEVER feel bored, because I brought a bunch of craft supplies (!!!!!) even though I know that it's probable that I won't finish 'em(!!!!!!!!) coz I have so much to do there. :) maybe I can do this in a pattern.

    With Blueberry Smartie Goodness brought fresh to you from the farm,


    Angeline PS こんいちわ not sure if that's right, I just installed Japanese and Korean and three different ways of typing Chinese onto the iPad. ろまんちっく sorry, it's probably not right :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will never feel bored cause there are lots to see there. I wanna go there someday! and maybe save some turtles, lol. I hope you enjoy your lovely vacay Angeline! And yes, the konnichiwa is right :)

      Delete
  5. Like the title says, this is fabulous! This will go to my list of diy before I go back to campus. This is a great idea. When I saw the first picture, I thought it would be a gold papper that was cut to geometric pieces and glued to the binder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gold paper is much more expensive so it'll kind of defeat my purpose. Hehe! Enjoy making it when you do! :3

      Delete
  6. so cool...but what about the durability of the gold paint. Does it stay put or scratches off with use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..I actually tried scratching it and so far nothing happened. Haha. But I would say it would just be as durable as your base material?

      Delete
  7. I would love to do this to the top of a table. OR screen print it onto fabric. Oh the possibilities! I'm loving this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh the fabric screen print is a good idea! Now I want to make that too. Haha, glad you loved it Margeaux! :)

      Delete
  8. LOVE THIS! Great job! :)

    Dom.
    Craftedblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What spray paint did you use? Because I have used two different spray paints on this project and taken it off when still somewhat wet and when it was completely dry; both times I have ended up ripping the spray paint off the binder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Rustoleum's Metallic Gold, the one with the really shiny cap. What's the texture of the binder you're using?

      Delete

Back to Top