DIY: Cute Box from a Placemat


I saw these placemats in Ikea for less than a dollar each. They looked pretty cool so I snagged them hoping I'd be able to do something with them. And here's what I came up with! The original box that I based the pattern on was a cookie box but my mother said it looks like a crayon box and it does fit 24-piece crayons. Anyway, read on for the tutorial.

You only need these for this DIY:
Plastic placemat
Scissors
X-acto knife
Hot glue gun
Template
Cutting mat


Print and cut the template (download here for the pdf file). I used my Silhouette Portrait to cut my template but you can use good ole scissors. Print it on cardstock so when you trace it won't be that flimsy.


Trace with a pen on the matte side of your placemat.


Cut that out. Now score the foldable lines with your X-acto knife.


Fold carefully. Don't bend the other way or you might break it.


Glue the end flap with your glue gun to the other side - you should have a box-shape now!


Fold over the parts that need to be folded and you are done!


It is a pretty container for crayons, mind you. But as the original packaging, you can put candies, bite-sized cookies and other sweets in there to give to somebody. Add a little washi tape or a cute little tag and you're good to go with a cute packaging. What do you think? Leave me your comments friends and I hope you have a good weekend! :)

6 comments

Back to Top