DIY: Diamond Arrow Mixed Material Necklace

I wanted another boho-ish necklace so I set out to make one - I am still pretty in love with arrowheads, so I made one in that shape. And to mix things up a bit, I incorporated two materials - brass and wood - into this project. Ready to know how I made it? Read on for the tutorial after the jump.

Supplies:
Paint stick / any thick-ish wood piece
Drill with 5/64" bit
X-acto knife
1/8" Brass Tube / Brass tube findings
Sandpaper
Paint / stain
Eye pins
Jump rings
Necklace chain


Cut up a triangle shape on your paint stick using an x-acto knife. It will take a while but be patient. You can also use a rotary tool, a hobby miter saw (this is what I have) to make things easier for you. I used a paint stick because that's what I had on hand.


Sand the sides of your triangle, as well as the edges. Also, if you're planning to stain it, you will want to sand the surfaces until the text on the paint stick disappears.


Mark your holes and drill. Make sure to go slow - and to not drill too close to the edges. Paint or stain after.


After the paint/stain dries, add your jump rings.


Now take an eye pin and insert your brass tube bead. Make a hook on the other end as shown on the bead on the right.


Assemble your pendant! Open up the jump rings on the wood triangle and attach your brass tubes.


Connect the two tubes on top with a jump ring.


Thread your necklace chain onto your pendant and you're done!


It kind of looks complicated but in truth it isn't. Took me less than an hour, and the resulting product (for me anyway) is very polished looking. What do you guys think? Would you attempt this DIY? Of course, always leave me your thoughts and have a happy week!
Linked up at:

   

13 comments

  1. this looks really nice, you always get the best ideas! xx

    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martyna! your comment made my day :)

      Delete
  2. Hey,

    I just came across your website via BlogHer.com. I own a website called www.GlobeIn.com - which is similar to Etsy.com, except we go out to smaller countries and find artisans that do not have internet access and help them sell their crafts/products online to potentially stablize their income. This is a dream of mine and I am reaching out to any website that would have possible readers who would be interested in opening their own shops or who would love to spread the word ! Just because we cater to 3rd world countries doesn't mean that we do not give any artisan artist a chance to change their life!

    I was wondering if you could possibly write an article about my website so we can spread the word about GlobeIn Inc, and our mission. We are trying to develop a following to change the world!

    Regards,
    Sergio Medeiros
    Sergio@Globein.com
    www.GlobeIn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It would be just as cute with only the triangle as well, I need to go find some scrap wood now! I am totally pinning this for later!

    Jessica
    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I recently made those triangles as earrings. :) Have fun DIY-ing! :)

      Delete
  4. hey baby! I love Yours blog! its very inspired. Can You tell names font what do You use on photos? I love them. All yours first post photo are cool!!

    Greets from Poland;*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I recall properly these ones are from this font designer, check her out - Fonts. Thanks for the compliment, btw! :)

      Delete
  5. Very cute and looks easy!

    -Courtney
    www.alwaysrooney.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this Aki !

    what is the paint that you used here on the triangle??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pryanjana! I used a dark walnut colored stain to just color the triangle and have the wood grain show. :)

      Delete
  7. What is "IMO"? and here's a link to a pair of earrings, quite like yours. I'm sure you remember...and I think it doesn't have a link back to yours!!! Oh no! oh yeah, does that Japanese character I typed last time mean "well"?

    http://www.pandahall.com/learning-center/article-Chan-Luu-Inspired-Chunky-Beading-Earrings-852.html



    Angeline (Ang or Angie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angeline, IMO - in my opinion :) Oh, I saw those earrings! They are a bit like mine I suppose but idk :O

      Delete

Back to Top