September 17, 2013

DIY: Gem Cluster Hair Clips


I've been sporting shorter locks these days courtesy of a haircut needed for one upcoming cosplay. I needed more barrettes and clips (who can have too many?) and I thought of making these cute little things from my stockpile of flat-backed acrylic gems. See how easy it is to make them after the jump!

Supplies needed:
Flat-backed acrylic gems
Hot glue gun / E6000 glue
Acrylic photo frame
X-acto knife, steel ruler, cutting mat
Spray paint in your color of choice
Black felt (or whatever your hair color is)
Bobby pins



Cut up a piece of acrylic from your photo frame - mine was about 0.6" x 2.5" long. Check out this post if you need to know how to cut acrylic.



Stick your gems on using E6000 (if spray-painting it) or just hot glue if you aren't. I recommend laying them out first so you'd know how your final product looks like. 



I wanted less acrylic to jut out from my piece so I melted/sanded it down with my rotary tool. This step is completely optional!



Now, if you're planning to spray paint it, now is the time to do it. I know, it's almost fall - so I'm trying to spray paint as much as I can before it's a pain to do it :) I used my trusty gold spray paint, but feel free to use any other color.



Now take your bobby pin, and a piece of felt - sandwiching the felt in between the prongs of the bobby pin. Glue the wrong side of your piece down.



You might want to clamp the piece of felt down with some binder clips - if your piece is spray painted, I suggest you protect the gem side with some paper to minimize scuffing.



Let that dry and you are done!



I personally prefer the spray-painted ones for everyday use - I feel like like the multicolored bobby pin is exclusively for parties and cutesy outfits only. But that may just be me.



What would YOU wear? Or if you're going with another color, what color would you want this to be in? Of course, leave me your thoughts in the comments as usual and have a wonderful week!

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

13 comments :

  1. Hmm, depends on the colors of my clothing. I would prefer the gold one, too.

    ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the gold one is more versatile @___@

      Delete
  2. pretty! i personally prefer the gold one myself ;)

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you really really love the color gold, don't you?
    I like the colorful one more :D

    and one more question where do you get those clear PVC stripes??

    http://moonshineandsunlight.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really really love it :) But the colorful one is nice too. I just don't know what I'd pair with it. And I actually cut that from an acrylic/plastic photo frame - you can get those practically anywhere :O

      Delete
  4. I love these! I'm heading out to Joann now to get supplies to attempt to make my own.

    Also, I've been lurking on your blog for awhile - you have great posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! Hope you had a good time making them! :) And thanks for the compliment :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh I love these! How perfect for the holidays! Thanks so much for sharing your how-to, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bunch of flat gems that I've been wanting to use - yay! I prefer the colorful gems to the gold, but I don't wear much gold. It would be cute to do an "ombre" effect with different hues of the same color.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS