DIY: Gilded Insect Hair Clips


Everything sprayed in gold instantly becomes pretty - case in point, these run-of-the-mill plastic insect toys. On their own, they're okay just sitting there... but once sprayed with this magical paint, it instantly becomes accessory-worthy. Adorn your hair with a few, make a brooch, or even a ring with it. Check out the super easy tutorial after the jump!

Supplies:
Bugs from the dollar store
Gold spray paint or nail polish (right now, I swear by Rustoleum's Specialty Metallic in Gold)
Hair pins
Black felt
Hot glue


Okay, you know the drill. Get your bugs out. 


Paint them - again, paint the bottom first before painting the top.



Sandwich your black felt between the prongs of your hair pin, squeeze a blob of hot glue on it and attach your bug on its bottom side. Voila! Enjoy your gilded bug hair pins.


You could totally go as a glamorous insect catcher this Halloween, right? What would you make this as? Leave me your lovely thoughts friends! I love reading them. Enjoy the rest of your week! :) 

11 comments

  1. Leave it to gold paint to make bugs look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, everything looks good in gold :)

      Delete
  2. hehehe!
    I'd like to stay away from insects !
    nice idea though Aki
    :D

    http://www.moonshineandsunlight.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live insects I can't stand, but plastic ones are a-ok :D And oh, I dropped by at your blog already for the theme question :o

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Aki, I totally forgot to check your blog for the last coupla weeks! What with 6th grade going on here, I was so busy and.....when I remembered now, I totally freaked and came here, to discover three posts I've missed. You know how I told you I love gothic Lolita, because of the sweetness combined with the edginess and romance of goth?!! I saw the cat ear thing and I love it! I'd always wanted to DIY a devil or cat ear headband but didn't think of using pipe cleaners! I'll make a white version for Halloween, but if I can I'll color it.....somehow. Lol. And not everything looks good in gold. I don't think my skin or hair would! Anyway, thanks for the great posts!

    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love the lacy cat ear post! :) I love lolita fashion. I hope you had a blast maing those white ears for yourself. And yes they would look good in gold! Specially if you're in the Hunger Games. :DD

      Delete
  5. That is a great idea, Aki. Good job and thank you for sharing this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by, Veronika! :)

      Delete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that I used this guide/idea to make a very beautiful scorpion hair pin, and I love it! I just got done watching Penny Dreadful and was on Etsy looking for scorpion related accessories - they all looked so weird, I almost gave up. But for some reason this gold spray just makes everything look so fancy. Thanks so much for an excellent DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I saw your pin on instagram - it's so pretty! Now I want a scorpion one too! :P

      Delete

Back to Top