Handmade Holiday Presents: DIY Bingo Tote Bag

It's time again for another installment of Handmade Holiday Presents! Sometimes it's tough to find the perfect gift when all you know about the person is one specific thing. Or a few. That's why sometimes it's easier to make something with them in mind instead. I made this one for my fiancee's grandma who absolutely loves bingo. You can make the print using different materials. Read on to find out how!

Materials:
Blank canvas tote - bought mine at Michaels, or make your own
Iron-on vinyl sheet & Cutting machine... or T-shirt transfer sheets
Iron
Bingo image

Aged Bingo Card via Collage Candy
Look for a suitable Bingo card image. I suggest using the vintage ones - at first I bought one from the Silhouette store online, thinking it would already be a cut file, but it wasn't. And when I traced it I wasn't satisfied with the results so I went to look for good Bingo cards I can cut with my die cutter and the image above is what I found. 


Edit your image and trace it in Silhouette Studio (or e-mail me if you want the cut file I used :3). Then start weeding the image - it was my first time using iron-on vinyl and nobody really told me weeding this thing would be a pain the first time - specially with this detailed image. LOL! But I survived and I actually enjoyed it after a while. After this, prep your bag and iron out all the creases. If you get the ones from craft stores, make sure not to wash them and then dry them in the dryer - apparently, it shrinks. 

Alternatively, if you don't have a die-cutter, you can always print the image onto a T-shirt transfer sheet just like in this tutorial


Finally, iron your design onto your bag. It takes a few minutes for the vinyl transfer (or t-shirt transfer) to adhere so be careful with the peeling. You can always go back and re-iron it if there are any edges that lift. Note: Do NOT touch iron directly onto your vinyl / t-shirt transfer or it'll ruin the whole thing. Trust me, I've seen it happen and it's ugly. 


And you are done! What I like about iron-on vinyl is that it gives a really pro feel to this craft - it doesn't look handmade at all. It would be awesome if you use paint too, of course, as it'll give the print a more vintage-y feel (which is what I was aiming for at first...)


All that's left to do is package it nicely. What do you think? Do you have any friends/relatives that are so hard to think of gifts for? Make some useful and personalized grocer bags today! And of course, pin and subscribe friends. :)







Linked up here:
  

7 comments

  1. Aahh Aki, you're posting everyday! I can't keep up but I love the things you're making! Which will be given to whom?

    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angeline! It's mostly to friends and family members! Haha. This one's for my fiancee's grandma :)

      Delete
  2. Love this!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love red . . . I love numbers . . . I love graphics . . . so, I obviously love your little totebag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Glad you're loving it :) Thanks for dropping by and commenting! :3

      Delete
  4. My best friend is getting married and she's not a partier but plays Bingo with her grandma. I have considered going out for a Bingo night for her bachelorette party instead of the traditional bar scene - this would be so cute to do for the guests!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top