January 24, 2014

DIY: Faceted Heart Charm


Valentine's Day is just a few weeks away, and while I'm not really enthused about celebrating it (as my partner is a few hundred miles away) I still do try and get into the spirit - after all, I still have to make cute favors for my little siblings and some printables, right? I was browsing the internet the other day and I saw some cute faceted heart pendants and I wanted to recreate them in polymer clay just because I am obsessed with the material right now (again). Read on for the tutorial!

Supplies: 
Polymer clay
X-acto knife
Heart cutter or mold (optional)
Eye pin or bail


Soften up some polymer clay and push it into your mold, or use your cutter to cut a heart shape. Alternatively, you can shape your polymer clay into a heart. When using a mold (specially ones that aren't silicone or flexible), one tip I learned is to wet the clay with some water before pushing it into the mold - as it will help it not stick into the mold. 


Cut off the facets - I found it cleaner to start with the top of the heart, and then working your way to the sides. Your goal here is not to have symmetrical facets, but rather, have that rough-cut look. 


I wanted mine to hang sideways so I poked the eyepin on one side of the heart. Bake according to the instructions on the package. Alternatively, you can glue on a bail after baking as well, if you'd prefer using that over an eyepin. 


Now just thread a finished necklace chain and you have yourself a cute little heart necklace. :) You may also use this as a bracelet charm, a ring, a hairpin or maybe even a brooch. I like the gray more than the red because it's more subtle and industrial looking - I'm really into the concrete trend right now. 


What color are you going to make this in? If you haven't yet, please pin and follow this blog if you enjoyed this tutorial! And don't forget to browse around for more crafts. Hope you have a good weekend!

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

6 comments :

  1. I have a use for all that spare clay lying around! :P

    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make a ton of these. And maybe marble the clay too! :)

      Delete
  2. That is awesome and nerdy looking <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! Trying it out now!

    thelollyproject.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS