DIY: Marbled Bib Necklace

A few days ago I was playing with some polymer clay - after making a batch of marbled clay, I wondered what I'd do with it. I made some gems and letters and mustaches using my various molds, but then I still had a lot left. Then I got the idea to make a bib necklace - and it sort of just took off from there.


Making this type of necklace is actually pretty easy - let me show you how!

You will need:
Polymer clay - black and white (for a marbled effect) or any color you want
Embellishments - bead caps, stamped metals brads
E6000
Eye pins
Necklace chain - or you can use ribbon
Jewelry pliers


Roll your chunk of marbled clay into a kidney shape.


Flatten with a flat surface such as a metal ruler or a hardbound book. Next, shape it until you get your desired bib shape. I used the edge of a round container to shape mine and get an ideal curve.


Insert your eye pins carefully on each side. Use a thin flat object (such as the backside of a metal ruler) to hold your clay down while inserting your eye pins to avoid leaving unsightly marks (like fingerprints). Bake according to clay package's directions and keep an eye on it - you don't want it to get burnt or discolored because of overbaking (not that I'm speaking from experience, lol). 


Next, lay out your embellishments - I chose two bead caps that I flattened out for the corners, and two metal corners and a brad for the center. If they aren't the same colors, you may want to spray paint them. 


Attach your embellishments with some E6000 or any strong-holding glue.


In the photo above, I used the brad to hold down the two metal corners. If you are doing the same, make sure to attach these elements first before attaching it onto your bib.


Add some necklace chain and you are done! You can always substitute some ribbon in place of the chain necklace - I think that would make the bib look more delicate and pretty. :)


I just love how ornate it looks - like something Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones would wear. Okay, I think I'm just obsessing now. 


What are your thoughts on this project? 

Don't forget to comment, friends! Also, please share and pin if you liked this project. Have a great week! :)

11 comments

  1. I really like this necklace! I never would have thought to use modelling clay.Really clever. :)

    Sydneymakesthings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so intricate and stunning :) love it Aki! Again, this is great to use all my scrap clay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a ton of scrap clay as well, hopefully I can think of more projects using it :)

      Delete
  3. I love this DIY!!!!! Fantastic!!

    http://www.diyandglam.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, it's well made! You're so talented Aki!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I appreciate that comment :)

      Delete
  5. Really like this. I have to ask though, what is a "brad"? Never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a scrapbooking embellishment :)

      Delete

Back to Top