March 14, 2014

DIY: Cute Bunny Charm

I have been too obsessed with cute animals lately (did you see my Panda Phone Sticker and the Free Panda Wallpaper for you desktop and phone?), but I just can't fight the will to make more cute animal crafts - today though, I'll be focusing on bunnies with this cute (and kid-friendly!) bunny charm. It's just timely, right, with Easter just a month(ish) away?


You will need these few things:
Bunny template
Shrink plastic
Sandpaper
Paint
Sponge


Look for a bunny template online (there are tons) or use mine - download it at the end of this post. Print, trace and cut your template.


If your shrink plastic is the non-paintable kind, sand each side with fine-grit sandpaper. Bake at the time and temperature indicated on your shrink plastic package. I experienced craft fail here, actually. I painted my shrink plastic with acrylic before baking, and my paint crusted up! I fixed it by sanding it to flatten the surface and painting it again. Make sure to leave as little paint strokes as possible - I used a sponge to apply my paint because I'm not really good at not leaving paint strokes, lol. 


Optional step: paint a bunny face. I don't really do well with painting details so I usually skip this step (I always tell myself I like the minimalist feel, but that's just a lie to make myself feel better). But if you're making one for a child, you may want to paint on that cute face. I used the tip of a hairpin for eyes, and my calligraphy nib for the smaller details (like the white dots on the eyes). After painting, spray clear glaze on your piece to make it more durable.


Now, depends on what you're using this for, stick the necessary element - in this case, since I was making this for my sister (who wanted a necklace), I added a bail. If you don't have a bail (like me), you can make one from an eye pin by coiling the straight end towards the coiled end (does that make sense?!)


Now you are done! You can also make this as a charm for a bracelet, a hairpin, brooch, keychain.... the possibilities are endless. I am going to make one for myself to use as a phone charm. 

If you're going to make this, what will you use this for? Please don't forget to share and pin if you loved this tutorial, and I hope you have a great weekend! 

DOWNLOAD THIS HERE
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

10 comments :

  1. This is super cute and the perfect shade of pink! I would love to make some for my pen pals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your pen pals would love them! Enjoy making them Sarah! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your bunny! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/shrink-plastic-bunny-charm/

    If you have other kid-friendly tutorials, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for an adorable project idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for featuring my little bunny Cindy! And thanks for the heads up - I'll see what I can submit! Thanks for dropping by and have a great day! :)

      Delete
  3. This is so very cute! I love it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Soo cool! I just checked out this blog and I LOVE it! By the way, how do I add your button on my blog,http://homemadeideasforyou.blogspot.ca?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS