March 18, 2014

DIY: Faux Cement Dangling Earrings

I really love the color of cement - I've been wanting to experiment with them but I haven't had the chance to go to the hardware store yet to get some. So to appease my hunger to craft with the said item, I made some earrings out of gray polymer clay. So without further ado, I present to you my faux cement earrings.




You can always imitate the look of real cement by texturizing the polymer clay once formed - but I chose to skip that step because I saw how pretty the clay looked after molding them into a gem mold... and I couldn't bear marring the beautiful smooth surface.

These are the only things you need:
Polymer clay - in gray, or light gray
X-acto knife / box cutter
Jewelry pliers
Earring posts
Eye pins
E6000
Sandpaper (optional)


Warm up a ball of clay and split that in half. Push it into your mold - you will want to wet your mold with a tiny bit of water so it doesn't stick as much. If you're a perfectionist, you will need patience as you might have to do it a few times to get the perfect shape. Flatten the back of your gems with a smooth, flat item like the back of a metal ruler. 


Once you have your gems, cut off the excess on the sides with a sharp blade (I used a box cutter blade).


Next, warm up a smaller batch of clay and divide them in half. Roll them into balls and form them until you get a teardrop shape - or any shape you want for a top part, really. If I had a tiny gem mold I would've used that to make some tiny gem tops, but I didn't so I opted for these teardrop shapes instead.


Next, link two eyepins together and cut off most of the straight part leaving about 1 cm on each end.


Carefully stick the linked eyepins onto your two pieces as illustrated in the above photo.


Optional: To get the look of cement, take a piece of rough-grit sandpaper and dab onto your clay pieces with light pressure until you get the look you're going for. Bake according to the package's instructions.


Then, just stick your earring posts at the back and you're done! I love how fast this one took me to make. You can always change the color of the clay you use - but for me, these gray ones are the best (I am really loving gray right now). Now I just have to think of how to add a pop of gold here... maybe I should embed a gemstone or something on the top part? 



Want more polymer clay crafts? Check out these past projects (just click on the photo to go to the tutorial!):

 
 


What color do you want this in? What shape do you think the top part should be? I think we can still improve on this, so let me know in the comments! I hope you will like this as much as I loved making it. Don't forget to pin and share if you did! I hope you have a great week! :)

Linked up at these awesome blogs:
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife
Tutorial Tuesday @ Hope Studios
Take-A-Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
Wow Me Wednesdays @ Gingersnap Crafts
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

13 comments :

  1. These look so expensive, love this idea.
    Gold would look really cool with the black.


    Daniela
    curlymade.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gold and black! I actually made one in that color, except I didn't have gold earring posts -.-

      Delete
  2. I love this DIY!!! So cute.

    http://diyandglam.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these earrings! I am also fond on cement and anything gray. Fantastic Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmody! Glad you love them! :D

      Delete
  4. These are so great! I never would have thought of using a mold tray to shape the earrings-- how clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're frustrating at first since they kept sticking onto the mold, but then when you get the hang of it, it's awesome! :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Gold, maybe with an acrylic gemstone or bright bead.

      Delete
    2. I think I have infected you with the gold-madness, Angeline. Haha! But gold with an acrylic gemstone sounds really fabulous - I might try that today :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS