April 28, 2014

DIY: Anthropologie-Inspired Diamond Chain Headband

I love this headband from Anthropologie but I'm not really one to pay $40 for hair accessory. So I DIYed it - and though I could have made it from brass, I chose the easier route and went to some of my go-to craft materials - shrink plastic and spray paint (oh trusty spray paint, what will I do if I don't have an open space to use you anymore?). See how I made it by reading on!


Supplies to make your own:

Cut up your shrink plastic sheet into uniformly-sized diamonds (about 1.5"-2" in height, mine was 2") then punch a hole near each point of the narrowest side. Bake them according the the directions on your shrink plastic packet and let it cool.


To create texture, sand each side of each of your diamonds. Don't forget to sand in circles so you produce a better texture. Sand the edges of your diamonds as well.


Spray paint them with your color of choice - since I wanted to mix it up, I sprayed them a bright silver. It's the first time I've used the Color Master brand of spray paint - and I must say, I love the smell (or maybe that's just the addict in me talking...) Link up your diamonds with some chain - I used about 8 links to space each of my diamonds. Finally, attach a few inches on each end diamond.


Finish the ends of the chains with a big jump ring attached to a piece of hair elastic. And you are done!

You can make the diamonds smaller or bigger depending on your preference. I'm feeling like I want another one with smaller and more diamonds - maybe I'll show you that too when I get around to making it? Anyway, this one really sits pretty on the hair. I love it!


Making one? What color combo would you make it in? I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Have a fantastic week folks!



Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

12 comments :

  1. What a fun necklace! Thanks for sharing at Do Tell Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's so quirky and elegant. I'd use black and gold, and maybe white and silver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black and gold is awesome! It won't show on my hair though :/

      Delete
  3. wow, great idea! Thanks for sharing. P.S. I found you through the link party on http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, I love this! I might make mine in all gold, but it's a hard choice! It's a good thing that you make this look so easy. :)

    Also, congrats because you are featured on this week's Do Tell Tuesday link party and have been pinned to our features board! Feel free to grab a button and link up this week too. :) http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/05/do-tell-tuesday-22-with-features-co.html

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature, Diane! :) And I'm glad you love it :)

      Delete
  5. ooh that turned out great, I love that idea of a headband! i hope to see you wear it in a future post! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS