April 11, 2014

DIY: Different Ways to Make Enamel Dots

A few posts ago I shared how to make pretty flower headbands for little girls, bridesmaids or for gifting - I used an enamel dot for the center, and I told you guys I'd show you different ways on how to make enamel dots. So read on to find out how! 


Who's obsessed with enamel dots? I am - you can use them for scrapbooking, cardmaking, embellishing - and even jewelry making. But they're too expensive, so being the cheap thrifty person that I am, I scoured the internet on ways to make said embellishments. I found a lot, but I am going to share with you guys a couple that are really easy, fast and made with materials that are (most likely) readily available in your craft stash - and I tested them too! 

PERLER BEADS


These little beads are quite the hit these days. You may know them as perler beads, or hama beads. They come with peg-like boards where you can make your design and then iron them to melt them - I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. There's a lot of colors to choose from so it's easy to suite them to your project needs. And they're relatively cheap too - a big bucket of them costs around $11 at Michaels, so you'll have a ton of enamel dots to supply you for the rest of your life


Of course I tested them and they turned out okay. It's not my preferred method because they turned out quite flat and not completely round. Maybe more attempts will yield me better results. I baked them at 325 f, but it depends on your oven. Read more about perler bead melting here.

PONY BEADS

Ahh - childhood. I had literally thousands of these when I was a kid, but now when I was looking around the house for some I didn't find any, except for the beads that came with my sister's creepy toy doll. So with a spirit of experimenting I seized said beads to melt in the oven. Unfortunately, my experiments did not turn out, so I guess you have to be mindful of the kind of pony beads that you have (they have to be the standard ones) or else they'll turn out like the photo below. Or maybe I just didn't do it right (it's pretty obvious that I burnt them). On the bright side, they look like mini donuts, don't you think? 


...Oh, and they stink really bad when you melt them. Read more about pony bead melting here!

HOT GLUE GUN


This is hands down my favorite method of making enamel dots - they're quite easy and enjoyable to make. It's stress-relieving for me, I could seriously make a hundred of these at a time and not be annoyed. I like how you can make it bigger or smaller as well. I have come across this method a few years ago, but then forgot all about it until I saw this tutorial from Agus Yornet on how to make them. 

Tip: Make sure your glue gun is really hot, and that you squeeze the trigger slowly.

The only different step that I took is when it came to coloring them - with my collection of different colored nail polish, I painted them while they're still stuck to the backing that I used. It gave me the enamel-y finish that I was looking for. After it's dry, just peel it off, clean off the sides and you have your enamel dots!


So, what say you, folks? Will you try your hand at making some enamel dots? Which method do you think is best? Tell me in the comments! Please share and pin if you loved this tutorial! And don't forget to visit again next week, I have another DIY involving enamel dots. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

25 comments :

  1. They're like little dots of penny candy! I'd love to use red and white for mint. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made white ones yet! Thanks for reminding me! Haha.

      Delete
  2. Very cool idea with the glue gun! I will definitrly be making some of these! Thanks for sharing!!
    Charlotte from AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and commenting Charlotte!

      Delete
  3. Love this! I saw Agnes' tutorial few days ago too. I kindda think that to make using glue gun is safer and not toxic since I have kids in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perler beads actually have no smell when you melt them, so I think it's safe as well. :) But the glue gun method yielded better results.

      Delete
  4. Super cute! And I totally thought the pony beads looked like little donuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still thinking on how to 'frost' them. :D

      Delete
  5. I love your post! Thanks for sharing your ideas! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you're so very welcome :)

      Delete
  6. This is very cool (am I showing my age with that comment?) I will give the glue gun thing a go when I have a minute. I actually quite like the flat hama bead ones too and have a tub full left from when the kids were little so may give that a whirl too! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try them and see what you'll love :)

      Delete
  7. Hi
    Very pretty and helpful, Thanks
    I enjoy doing and learning about thrifty crafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad you enjoyed it Deirdre!

      Delete
  8. Cool might be trying them ,well the glue gun one soon will let you know how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, have fun when you try them for yourself!

      Delete
  10. Cute -- but why do you call them enamel? They seem to be made of everything BUT enamel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're faux enamel. But I guess using nail enamels would make them technically enameled dots, right? :)

      Delete
  11. So cute and you make it sound so easy! May I ask what you used for backing (to squeeze the glue on to)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is when you get the hang of it! I used the sticker paper backing :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Aki! I'm going to try it :)

      Delete
  12. Great! Can't wait to get out my hot glue gun and nail polish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS