DIY: Dressform Embroidery Thread Holders + Template

My room is a mess, but that's because it's where I craft too. I don't really have a ton of storage space for crafting materials and my room is quickly becoming like one of the spaces in Hoarders (well, not really, but close to it...lol). In an effort to reorganize everything and make them accessible (and pretty!) I've been doing a few things - this DIY is an example: I wanted to make all my embroidery thread and twine neat looking. There's a plethora of available embroidery thread holders available on the internet, but I wanted something different so I made these little dressform cut outs. If you don't want to go through the hassle of making these, you can always order them by clicking here. 


Supplies:
Chipboard / Cardboard - I used a pizza box because I'm trying to be eco-friendly (and cheap!)
Template - download it at the end of the post!
Backing material - fabric, paper or paint
Scissors


Print and cut the template. It's easier to print directly onto the cardboard and then cutting it rather than making a template and tracing it onto the cardboard (easier for me at least).


If you used recycled cardboard like me, you may want to back your cut dressform with pretty paper, kraft paper, another piece of cardboard or even spray paint it. I used kraft paper to back mine (and I gave that dressform pictured above to my sister - she loves extra cut-outs.)


Cut the slits in the middle. 


When rolling up your thread or twine, insert one end onto the slits to secure.


After rolling them up, cut a slit near the shoulder part to hold the other end of the thread.


Now admire your pretty handiwork! Don't they look like they're wearing pretty (and colorful) dresses? I actually laughed to myself in excitement when I was done wrapping the first one (yes, I'm kind of crazy like that). You can even hang them up like dresses.

Want them but don't want to make them? You can always order them here. :)


Do you have craft clutter problems too? What do you do to fight the clutter? Share your solutions, experiences and other comments with me! I love hearing from you. And of course, please pin and share if you loved this tutorial - it really helps the blog! As always, have a lovely week folks :)

DOWNLOAD THIS HERE

17 comments

  1. these are great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jaimie! Have fun making them! :)

      Delete
  2. Kawaii ^.^ I'll use origami paper and hold my Ric Rac. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, origami paper sounds pretty. Post them on your google+, I wanna see :)

      Delete
  3. Super cute! Love how they look finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're certainly making my storage a bit easier (and prettier!) :)

      Delete
  4. I am disappointed that I would have to sigh up for an account at MediaFire just to get a "free" download. I will be drawing out my own pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous - I didn't have to - I just clicked on the file and it downloaded!

      Thanks for sharing, Aki - your designs are lovely!

      Delete
  5. Aww, so cute! I'm imagining hanging them up like bunting ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!!! I am going to do this when our household goods arrive here. I also love the bunting idea too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love them Alisha! And I hope you have a happy time making these! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this great post. It’s very enlightening. I absolutely love to read informative stuff. Looking forward to find out more and acquire further knowledge from here! Cheers!
    polo embroidery

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top