DIY: Easy Intricate Laser-cut Earrings

I love the look of laser-cut jewelry - they're just so pretty and so intricate. But alas, I don't have my own laser cutter (although I do hope to own one in the future) to make them from scratch so when I found some pretty lasercut wood at Michaels I figured they'd be good for making some laser-cut looking earrings. 


You will need:
Lasercut wood piece
X-acto knife / box cutter
Sanding paper / Dremel rotary tool with sanding attachment
Paint and paintbrush
Earring hooks and jump rings


First, let me show you the lasercut piece that I got - it was fairly thick, with lots of scrollwork and is oh-so-pretty. It was around $2 at Michaels, so it was pretty cheap for something so detailed and beautiful.  


You want to pick out which elements you want to use for your jewelry piece - mark them with a pencil as a guideline.


Using the guidelines, cut carefully until you separate your piece. You will have to exercise caution as the top layer of the wood comes off pretty easily. 


On the photo above, I have successfully separated one potential jewelry piece from the laser-cut wood. 


Sand the sides of your pieces until they're nice and smooth. Also, sand the top and the corners lightly. 


With just one laser-cut wood piece, I cut out these pieces to use as jewelry elements - isn't it neat?! Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this fascinating. I was thinking of using these two pieces (seen below) as a bib-type of necklace, but then I wanted some big statement earrings so I made them into earrings instead. If you have something similar, drill each piece to accommodate jump rings to attach your earring hooks. If the wood piece is thin, you may not need to drill a hole aymore. 



Note: when you drill holes, be sure to put just a tiny bit of pressure and go slowly. Paint your pieces (starting with the sides first) and wait for that to dry before attaching your earring hooks.


And now it's done! The look of pretty laser-cut earrings for a lot less. And I have extra pieces to boot. Check out this list of accessory tutorials if you're hungry for more!


I think the gray looks good against my black hair - it shows up pretty well. But I was undecided for a while. What color do you think this would look good in? Be sure to comment / pin / share if you loved this tutorial and I hope you have a great weekend! 

10 comments

  1. Why, gold, of course! And silver. Actually, metallics in general wood really suit it as a brooch and/or necklace. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to stay away from gold! Haha. Silver would be really nice too! :) Thanks Angeline!

      Delete
  2. Love this project! I've been looking at those laser cut wood decorations at Michaels. Didn't occur to me that I could cut them apart to make jewelry. I kept looking for existing small pieces. Heading to Michael's now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they pretty?! Have fun crafting Abby! :)

      Delete
  3. Love this! I really like how the lacy design makes the earrings feel delicate, even if they're large. I might do this in a metallic pewter color...and then maybe add a few tiny flat backed crystals to give a little sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pewter sounds gorgeous - and those crystals too. Good ideas Sarah! :)

      Delete
  4. Very clever! I'd paint them in jewel tones - deep yet bright blues, greens, and purples are my faves ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to paint them in jewel tones as well but I don't think the wood would take it nicely. If you use nail polish though, it might just work :)

      Delete
  5. This is so gorgeous! I love how you can make so many different unique pairs of earrings from one piece :)

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earrings and necklaces! You just have to be patient in cutting them :D

      Delete

Back to Top