May 12, 2014

DIY: Fabric Flower Hairpins

It's that time of the month again for another edition of the Silhouette Challenge. I just love participating in this monthly thing - not only does it give me something to jumpstart my ideas, but it's also a great community of crafters. 


Anyway, for this month we were tasked to make something involving flowers - actually, I've been wanting to make paper flowers for months now but I decided to wait until just a few weeks ago (and now my desk is littered with paper flowers). But I wanted something I/my sister could wear - so I thought why not make it with fabric? I made really basic fabric flowers so you guys can totally make this without a Silhouette - I just don't like cutting most of the time :D


Supplies:

Cut up two same-sized sheets of your fabric, and cut up one sheet of same-sized fabric interfacing as well. Iron the rough side down onto one of your fabric pieces. Peel off the paper protector of your fabric interfacing, lay on your second sheet of fabric on top of it and iron that. In short terms - sandwich your fabric interfacing between two pieces of fabric. This will give you a nice, stiff fabric ready for cutting. 


I went onto my Silhouette studio and drew 1.2" circles and cut that up. With my kind-of dull blade, I used these settings: Speed: 5, Thickness: 33 and Blade: 7, set it to double cut and it cut up really cleanly. As I said, you can totally cut this by hand, I just wanted life to be easier for me. :)


Cut a slit from the edge of your circle to the middle (as shown in the photo). Do this for all of your circles! If you want a tighter bud in the center, cut a wedge on some of your circles (about 3 for each flower) instead of just a slit. 



Glue the two sides of the slit together by overlapping one on top of the other (or sew them, whichever you prefer) to make one petal. Again, do this for all of your circles.


Now start assembling your flower! Start with three petals forming the middle, and the adding petals around your main bud until you're satisfied with how it looks. For me, this usually takes 7-11 petals (look at the photo below). 


For the center I cut up a strip of black fabric, did the steps above to make it stiffer and cut up a fringe. I was considering doing this on my Silhouette as well since I didn't have fringe scissors, but then I thought that would be too lazy of me. Lol. 


Roll it up, and glue it down when you reach the end of the roll. Squeeze a dollop of glue on the bottom of your fringe center and glue it down the center of your flower.


Attach it onto a hairpin by sandwiching a piece of felt between the hairpin prongs, squeezing some glue on it and then sticking your hairpin. And you are so done! 


Make it in different sizes - on the photo above I used 1.2" circles and 1" circles and made a headband for my little sister - isn't she so cute?! She's growing up so fast. You can also add some leaf detail or make them in different colors or patterned fabric. It's a great way to use scraps! Alternatively, you can use pearls, beads, brads or whatever you want to put on the center. For the photo below, I used gold glitter cardstock for the center:


Of course, you should totally check out what my other Silhouette friends did for this month:

Vellum Flowers Silhouette Challenge - Shape Challenge - Flowers Paper Wedding Roses Tea Party Invites Dr. Seuss Graduation Gift Hand Made Floral Cards for Mom Say it With Flowers - May Silhouette Challenge (Paper Craft) Confetti Flower Card Silhouette Challenge! May flowers mixed media art Wearable Flower Power ~ Silhouette Challenge Silhouette Sketch Pen Tutorial - Watercolor Flowers Dingbat Font Flower Garden Flag Stenciled Burlap Canvas Distressed White Washed Terra Cotta Pot with Book Page Flowers Creating Floral Fabric Teacups Using Your Silhouette Machine + Free Cut File! DIY Paper Flowers: 3D Paper Tulips DIY: Fabric Flower Hairpins Silhouette Sketch Pens Peony Prints Paper Purse Gift Card Holder 3d Watercolor Paper Peony Flowers DIY Home Decor Paper Blossom Branches Floral Note Card Set French Box Upcycle with Graphic Challenge ‪#‎silhouettechallenge‬ DIY Summer Activity Mason Jar Decor with Upcycled Pallet Wood Metal Etching flower kraft boxes Vellum Flower Arrangement Thank-You Cards {Made on Silhouette}
1. Create & Babble // 2. Kate's Paper Creations // 3. Please Excuse My Craftermath // 4. Tried & True // 5. unOriginal Mom // 6. Mama Sonshine // 7. Adventures in All Things Food & Family // 8. The Experimental Home // 9. The Outlandish Momma // 10. Whats Next Ma // 11. Dream a Little Bigger // 12. Silhouette School // 13. Creative Ramblings // 14. Our Rosey Life // 15. Bringing Creativity 2 Life // 16. Practically Functional // 17. Minted Strawberry // 18. Two Purple Couches // 19. Simply Kelly Designs // 20. Grey Luster Girl // 21. TitiCrafty // 22. My Mom Made That // 23. Architecture of a Mom // 24. My Paper Craze // 25. The Sensory Emporium // 26. Ginger Snap Crafts // 27. Mabey She Made It // 28. McCall Manor //


What kind of flower do you guys like? Hopefully I've inspired you to make your own fabric flower hairpins! I wish you guys a great week :)

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

22 comments :

  1. These are adorable! I'm definitely going to try them in fabric. I've done these type of flowers with paper, but not fabric...they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy too. I'm glad you find them beautiful! Have fun making them :)

      Delete
  2. Love these! Your fabric sandwich came out so well too - it shaped up really nicely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few not-so-great ones but I think that was because I didn't iron the fabric interfacing well in those areas. Happy crafting~!

      Delete
  3. My girls would love these hair pins! Thanks for sharing...I may have to make some for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls would LOVE these for their hair! Thanks for sharing and I gotta give your project a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! Have fun trying the project! :)

      Delete
  5. So pretty, Aki! I thought they are paper and yes, they look "really easy" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Onel! They are really easy. I made a bunch of them in less than an hour :)

      Delete
  6. Super cute! I totally want to make some of these! ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Have fun making them :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely diy, very pretty! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun project. If I had little girls in my life I'd make these in a new york minute. Thanks for joining in on the Silhouette Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always make some as brooches or pillow decor. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. These are so pretty! You always make the best projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I'm glad you love them! :)

      Delete
  10. These are so cute! I cannot wait to try and make them myself. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - have fun making them! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS