DIY: Realistic Cracker Charms

So last week I made these awesome donut hairpins that I'm still getting excited about everytime I see them - I promised you guys I would share a tutorial on how to make the crackers I used in one of my hairpins, and here it is! I love how this turned out and I'm going to continue making more - I'm planning to cracker-embellish a lot of things. Ready to see how easy it is to make them?


Supplies:


First roll your ball and flatten it - I used a book and the smooth side of an embossing folder to flatten mine, but feel free to use a clay roller or fondant roller. Get your cookie cutter and cut out your 'crackers'. If you don't have any cookie cutters laying around, let me show you an easier way to make these crackers:


Divide your clay into sections like so. 


Using the pointed tip of a toothpick or barbecue stick, make some indents on the sides of your 'cracker'. And you have your basic cracker shape!


Poke some holes on your crackers - I usually start with the corners, and then working inwards to make the placement of the holes as even as possible. 


Now it's time to 'bake' them (no not baking them yet, but to give them an appearance of being baked). Scrape the sides of your soft pastels with a box cutter or x-acto knife, until you get powdery pastel. Use that to color them - shade the top and the sides with some saffron-colored pastel, and the sides with cadmium orange/ reddish orange pastel. See the difference it makes? I always 'overbake' them though (make them burnt-looking). Anyway - after that's done, bake them for real according to the package instructions of the polymer clay that you used.


Make cream-filled biscuits by spreading some whipped clay (I used Mod Podge's Collage Clay - I really do love this stuff!) onto the backs of your crackers before pressing them together. If you want to make charms, use an eyepin and stick it like so before pressing your crackers together. 


You may want to use them as hairpin embellishments as well - I used some Mod Podge Collage Clay and Collage Drizzle paint to add additional embellishments to my crackers. Check out the post here on how to do that!


By the way, if any of you are wondering where I got my cracker cutters, I made them myself using my new 3D printer. I'm still learning and I have a long way to go but I've tried making some awesome stuff!


What are you going to cracker-embellish? Leave me your thoughts - I haven't really heard from you guysi n a while! Have a fun week, as always :)

9 comments

  1. Wow, they look good enough to eat! So fun :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! My fiance thought they were real at first. Haha. You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a cute project, and I am so jealous of your 3D printer. I've wanted one for ages, they are totally the future of making! Can't wait to see what you make next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) And they are fun, but there's a steep learning curve, unfortunately. I'm still learning even after two months of owning it!

      Delete
  3. OMG, these are so cute! Thanks for the great tut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look amazing! I'm so jealous of your 3d printer too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just browsing this blog for some gift ideas for my cousin and I was feeling really lolita...-ish. I guess. And then I saw this, ignored it, and reloaded the page. It was an ad, so it didn't work...and THEN, I realized my stupidity and searched 'cracker'. Your search thing isn't working! :( anyway...
    I'm totally making this for my cousin :D

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top