DIY: Rhinestone Hair Combs from Cocktail Rings

When you want a fancy looking hair comb and you can't find one that's both affordable and pretty - what do you do? I've had this dilemma and was toying with the idea of making my own using storebought or eBay-bought rhinestone embellishments, but when I came across the pretty rings in one of the photos below, I decided to make my own using them - they were very affordable too! This rhinestone hair comb set just cost me under $2 in supplies to make.


Supplies
  • Cocktail Rings
  • Tin snips
  • Wire cutter
  • Plastic hair comb
  • E6000 glue


There's a store in NYC that sells cheap cocktail rings for $1 for 10 pieces, and this is what I got - plus more. Yep - that's $0.10 per piece! I'm planning to buy more to use for other purposes as well. They're adjustable but some are bigger than others, but I didn't really care about the sizes as I planned to destroy them anyway.


Most of the ones I've gotten have bases that are easy to separate - the metal is pretty malleable - just bend with slight pressure in the direction perpendicular to the ring base.


If yours doesn't snap off that way, it may be easier to use a pair of tin snips to dislocate the rhinestone embellishment from the ring base. 


Using a wire cutter, trim off the excess metal that juts out from the ring embellishment (if there is any).


Don't forget to save those ring bases! You can always use them for future projects. 


If you have a longer/wider plastic hair comb, trim it in half using a wire cutter. I actually opted for this instead of a metal hair comb as the black blends in with my hair more. 


I also cut the end to produce a more symmetrical-looking hair comb.


Now all that's left to do is to glue down your ring embellishment onto the top of the hair comb - this is easily done by using E6000 glue and leaving it to dry. Alternatively, you can attach the embellishments by wrapping the embellishment onto the hair comb with a piece of wire (in the same color as your embellishment).


And that's it! Easy peasy - this project couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes to make (minus the drying time of the glue, of course). 


These are dressy enough for use in weddings, formal parties and other occasions, but also simple enough for (almost) everyday use.

If you make this, would you use a plastic comb or a metal one? Sound off in the comments! :)

6 comments

  1. This is such a brilliant idea and it's super cute! The possibilities are endless with this since I can imagine using beaded ring pieces and other things for cute hair combs. I think I would rather use metal instead of plastic since I think that metal would look better if you are doing the wire attachment instead of the glue attachment. Plus it wouldn't break or crack if it was accidentally stepped on or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nyxie! And I know - when I was in the store they had a lot of animal rings too, so I'm planning to go back and get a ton of them again. And that's a good point - they are more fragile with plastic combs.

      Delete
  2. What a great find and what you did with it. Please please what is the name of the store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie! I can't really remember what the name of the store is, but it's on 8th ave between 34th and 38th streets (can't remember where it is exactly, I just kind of know it by heart lol). I'll check it out again to let you know the name of the place! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this! I'm with Jackie, I would love to have more information name/location of the store. My daughter and granddaughter go to NYC twice a year, if I knew the location I could get them to bring me some rings.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top