DIY: Butterfly Teabag Holder with Free Template

I'm trying to be a tea-drinker. I mean, I used to love tea so much before, but then I got hooked on coffee and now that I can't really have caffeine, I'm trying to drink non-caffeinated teas & herbal teas. I have an issue with teabags though - most of the time, my teabag tabs fall in the cup. I know, it's not that much of a big deal, but my brain still wanted to find a solution to that (without spending money to get a mug with a teabag holder). So with the help of my trusty Silhouette, I made this butterfly teabag holder. (And I know, it's not spring yet - but the snow is making me long for it). No Silhouette? Don't worry - this project is easy enough that you can cut it by hand!


Supplies:

  • Shrink plastic
  • Template (downloadable at the end of the post
  • Scissors / X-acto knife or Silhouette Machine
  • Scoring tool
  • Wire cutter
  • Cardboard
  • Heat gun
  • Wooden skewer

Cut the butterfly using scissors, an x-acto knife or your Silhouette machine. 


Score the middle of your butterfly, fold and then lay flat on a baking sheet. Bake according to the directions of your shrink plastic package. While waiting, fold a cardboard piece in half.


You might want to use some protective gear for this - while still hot/warm, gently shape the wings to go upwards, making sure not to use too much force to break the wings. You may want to apply heat to soften the wings as well. Use your heat gun, the cardboard piece and a wooden skewer to guide and shape.


Cut the top middle part where the wings are connected. To get it to grip properly on the rim of a mug, cut a notch out of the folded cardboard piece, apply heat to the upper body of the butterfly, and - while using a skewer, gently guide the notches outward. 


This is how it's supposed to look like.

Color your new butterfly teabag holder, or leave it as it is. I personally like the white, but that may be because I currently do not have access to a spray painting area (thinking about it, spray painting stuff coming in close contact with food isn't really a great idea).


It's recommended for use on teacups with delicate rims (but since I do not have access to my delicate teacups, please sate yourself with this photo instead). It can perch onto some other things too - like milk bottles, mason jar mugs etc. You can even use it as home decor! 


I am happy that my teabag tab isn't falling in my cup anymore. Would you give this a try? Let me know in the comments, or if you have other (convenient) ways to make your teabag tab stay put! I really would love to know.

DOWNLOAD THIS HERE

2 comments

Back to Top