DIY: Button Pendant Necklace

I've been obsessed with vintage things for a while now, largely because of Brian's (my now-husband!) influence. Recently I've acquired these gorgeous buttons while looking around at an indoor flea market, thinking I would make some earrings with them. Yes, earrings are nice, but they're pretty common aren't they? So I decided to rummage around my jewelry-making container and found these cabochon trays which are the perfect size for most of my buttons! That's when I decided I would make them into decent-sized pendants, perfect for layering with other necklaces.


Supplies:
  • Normal-sized buttons
  • 14 mm Cabochon trays
  • E6000 glue
  • Wire cutters
  • Jump rings
  • Necklace chain

Here's a sampling of the buttons I've acquired. And truthfully, after making these pendants, I'm itching to go back to the antique store to get more, if they still have any left. Aren't they all so gorgeous?!


First, look for some buttons the same size as your cabochon tray. I found out that most of mine are about 14 mm in size, so my 14 mm cabochon trays were perfect. 


After choosing your button, proceed to cut the shank behind it to make it flat. Some are easy to cut since they're plastic, but I've found a few in my collection that were brass, so I needed my metal cutter for that. Be careful with this step as the shank will fly when you cut it off. 


Fill about 1/4 of your cabochon tray with some E6000 glue and attach it carefully to the backside of your button. Wait for that to dry!

I was so excited I made more than one. And truthfully, I'm planning to make more. Aren't they pretty?


When the pendants are fully dry, just attach them to your chain with a jump ring and you are done!

I love that they are one-of-a-kind pieces, especially if you are using vintage buttons. Their size also makes them perfect for layering with other necklaces (as I said earlier). My favorite piece out of all the ones I've made is this Kemington Express button, since it looks like a bullet bottom:


Which one's your favorite? Have a fun time crafting, friends!

9 comments

  1. This is such a cute necklace! Great Idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love upcycled jewelry! And this looks relatively easy - I hope I have a chance to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Hope you have a blast when you make it! :)

      Delete
  3. really easy and great idea and pics! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable. Now I'm tempted to look for old buttons to make my own. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. :) You can easily find some at thrift stores or flea markets.

      Delete

Back to Top