DIY: Word Bobbi Pins + Free Template

I've been thinking of what kind of project I can use my new favorite font in - I've tried making printables but for some reason they don't fit, every single time. Yesterday I was exploring the internet and stumbled upon these pretty hair accessories from bando and thought I'd be able to make something like it with materials I had on hand - and my favorite new font fits right in! 



I swear this project is so easy. Ready to dig in?

Supplies:
  • Shrink plastic
  • Template (download at the end of the post)
  • Scissors
  • Die-cutter (optional)
  • Embossing powder
  • Embossing ink
  • Heat gun
  • Hot glue gun / E6000 glue
  • Bobbi pins

First off, cut your template on your shrink plastic. I used my Silhouette Portrait to cut my shrink plastic to make the project a ton easier but don't worry - you can definitely cut it by hand. After cutting, shrink your cutout by following the instructions on your shrink plastic package. Alternatively, you can use your heat gun to shrink it. 


When it's cooled,  dab some embossing ink on the word, making sure you have no spots after.


Pour some of your embossing powder on top of the word, and then shake off the excess. Using your heat gun, carefully heat up the word to melt the embossing powder. You don't want to be to close to the word to prevent it from deforming. 


You may also choose to cover the backside with embossing powder but I decided to skip that. Use your hot glue or E6000 glue to adhere the word onto a bobbi pin. 


And there you have it! You can totally customize this project with your own words - 'Happy Birthday', 'Sweet', *Your Name* comes to mind. But I do like these ones for Valentines Day. Don't you think so?


I've been trying to wear more hair accessories with my short hair, but with this dreary winter weather, I can't really go out without a hat. It's a good accessory to hold your hats in place though!


What word are you making this in? Let me know in the comments and I hope you guys have a fun Valentines Day!

DOWNLOAD THIS HERE:

12 comments

  1. Aki, this is so clever! I had no idea you can cut shrink plastic with your Silhouette. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - it's the first thing I tried cutting when I got my machine. Haha! Glad you know now! Thanks for pinning Maritza! :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute idea!! :)
    Praveena
    https://craftonrothing.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! LOVE these, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius!!!
    I would like to make my name. How can I get the templates for it????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ara! To make your name you have to make your own template by going to word, picking a font you like, typing your name and printing it off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Love this!
    Which brand of shrink plastic did you use? I've tried some brand from my local craft shop, but no succes... My cameo didn't cut trough it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie!

      Here is what I used:
      https://www.consumercrafts.com/store/details/catalog/jewelry-findings-charms/3-1490d

      I typically set mine to double cut or sometimes three passes at max depth and blade setting.

      Delete
  7. What font is this? It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What font is this? It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top