DIY: Nautical Drop Earrings

I recently moved a couple of weeks ago and was stuck at home with no internet connection - literally, I only had a small amount of data to use on communicating with clients regarding my graphic design stints. And after days of dealing with unreliable internet-installation people, we finally got our internet hooked up! I never knew how dependent I was on the internet until then. I've been playing catch up with work and other obligations but I figured I'd make a simple and easy tutorial for all you guys out there wondering if I'm still alive and breathing. Here's one that's so simple to make but fashionable as well!


Supplies:
  • 18 mm Anchor buttons
  • 18 mm Cabochon earring settings
  • Side cutters
  • E6000 glue
  • Navy-colored paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Glaze (optional)


Look for a favorite pair of anchor buttons. You can chance upon them at antique stores if you're lucky, or find them online on eBay or Etsy. You may even find them at your local craft store!


Take your side cutters or wire cutters and carefully cut off the button shank. You want it to be flat so it will lay properly against the earring. 


Now take your paint and paint the whole top surface. Wipe off the excess and then carefully fill in the gaps in the background. 
Attach the button onto the earring with some E6000 glue and wait to dry.

And you are done! You can coat it with a glaze to seal the paint. I used matte Mod Podge to retain the vintage look. It looks grungy from the paint imperfections but I feel that it gives the piece more character.


Would you paint this in red or blue? Let me know in the comments - I sure appreciate your thoughts! Have a fun day crafting, friends!

2 comments

  1. love the simplicity, or maybe that's because I really like nautical things either way, great project!
    curlymade/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love nautical things too! :) Thank you :3

      Delete

Back to Top