DIY: Vintage Style Pencil Holder

Brian and I still don't have a good-sized desk to use so we planned for him to build one months ago. It's almost been 4 months but he hasn't started building yet - although considering I have the cut list prepared and we found file cabinets already, I'd say we're getting closer. I've been needing a good-sized pencil cup to hold all my pens, pencils, calligraphy pens and markers but I haven't found a single one that would work with my style so I eventually just thought of making my own. I found this cheap tin planter at the thrift store and thought it would be perfect! Read on to find out how I made it.

Supplies:
  • Small tin planter
  • Mason jars
  • Spray paint - in matte black
  • Acrylic paint - in white / antique white
  • Stencil 
  • Sandpaper
  • Paintbrush

Start by cleaning your tin planter - this is recommended specially when you bought it second hand. Clean off the rust and grime off of it with soap and a scrubbing brush.


Spray two to three coats of your matte paint, until all the sides are uniformly covered. 


Measure out how big you want your text to be and then make a word stencil - I chose No.1 because I wanted a repurposed and vintage looking pencil holder, but it's easy you can replace it with your word of choice. I used Foglihten No. 01 to create my template, but removed the empty spaces and made it a bit chunkier.


Paint over your stencil, making sure to be careful around raised edges. Mine ended up having a lot of imperfections, so I went over the paint with a water-dipped paintbrush to clean up the edges of the letters while the paint was still wet. 


To make it look worn, use sandpaper and carefully sand over the raised edges, and go over the whole tin with a 120 grit sandpaper in a criss-cross and across motion to give it an overall 'used' look. 


Finally, pop in your mason jars and you are ready to use it as a pencil holder! This tin actually works as a planter for succulents and as a cutlery holder as well. I do love the end result and I am planning to make more... I just need to find more tins!


My husband and I have a vintage rustic theme going on, and this I think is perfect for the office area I'm envisioning. What is your workspace theme? Let me know in the comments - and I hope you have fun crafting, friends!  

No comments

Back to Top