DIY: Perler Bead Tribal Half-Necklace

I have been crafting a lot with perler beads lately, partly due to my desire for more 8-bit accessories as well as trying to practice my fusing skills before I undetake making more complex items Bunny wants. I was browsing through Pinterest looking for pretty perler projects when I spotted a half-round tribal necklace - and if you know me or you've been reading this blog for a while, you know I just love accessories like that. So I set about making my own. It took me a few tries as it was my first time working with a round pegboard, but I think the end result looks great!



Supplies:
  • Perler beads
  • Round pegboard
  • Tweezers
  • Iron
  • Parchment paper
  • Jump rings
  • Jewelry chain
First, determine your pattern. I wanted an arrow in the middle so I set about trying to lay that out. It took me a few minutes to find the arrow shape on the pegboard but once I laid one out, sizing it was easy. 


Next, you want to lay out the rest of your necklace - I decided on a half round necklace but instead of outlining the whole outside, I offset it by one bead to make room for 'hanging' perlers. 


Fill it with your colors - it's harder to determine the color combination with a very bright pegboard, so if you can, purchase the clear round one (my pegboard came with the big bucket). I used teal, light mint green, white and some peach highlights for contrast. I also added another black arrow inside for extra detail. 


Tape your piece using painter's tape, and flip. Using a clear round pegboard, puncture the beads on the painter's tape (I skipped this step since my pegboard wasn't see through, but you really should do it - it makes the holes uniform when melting).


Iron it using medium setting for a more uniform melting, and use parchment paper between your iron and the perler piece. 


Finally, attach your jump rings on the two perlers on the edge of the half-circle, and then your finished jewelry chain. I used big jump rings and hid the seam inside the beads for a cleaner look.


And you are done!




Mine didn't met uniformly as I had china perler beads intermixed with the Perler brand beads. I really regret doing that now, they don't melt as nicely. But when viewed from afar, it's not noticeable so I don't mind it as much. I love how perfect it is for my summer outfits!


Have you crafted with Perler beads before? Let me know in the comments - I would really love to hear from you! Happy crafting, friends!


4 comments

  1. I haven't tried making anything with that kind of bead before but your necklace looks fab, might have to give it a go!

    Claire xo
    Beads Jar UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fun to play with! Happy crafting :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful perler bead focal! I love the design.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top