DIY: Geeky Perler Bead Christmas Wreath

I've always wanted to make a geeky Christmas wreath ever since I saw this geeky wreath from Think Geek. Well actually - I wanted that geeky wreath, but some of the details don't really fit me and my husband, and it was kind of small (and also made out of foam), so I decided to make my own. I didn't really realize how much time it would take me to finish the whole thing - but I think it was definitely worth it. Plus it was mostly stress-free. 

First you want to lay out the wreath itself - I just eyeballed a rough round shape for the outside and inside circles and then added my elements one by one. You can also reference perler wreath designs online - that's how I started - I actually looked up a bunch of perler wreath designs and kind of followed the general pattern they had. 



Also, you want your elements evenly distributed, so don't be annoyed if you need to move a certain element over or to scrap it and replace it with another element. Moreover, don't worry if your design passes the wreath's boundaries - you actually want that to happen to give it a more natural feel. 



Add your elements first - I added a black mage from the online final fantasy games because that's what I play, a stormtrooper because we just love Star Wars, a nintendo controller because we love retro games, pacman, zelda and other things. It's a representation of the geeky things we love. After adding your elements you want to add the faux lights and then the light green speckles to make your wreath more colorful and have better coloring. 

I actually took a longer time doing the elements of the wreath than filling the green parts!

I used 13 square pegboards in total, but I started with 9 for the basic wreath shape. It took me about 1 1/2 days beading the whole thing (with a lot of breaks), and about 2 days to iron (with a lot of breaks too). It's about 16 inches in diameter to give you an idea of how big it is. It's my biggest perler bead creation up to date - and I know that this is nothing when talking to perler bead artists, but I feel accomplished! I decided I wanted to add lights so I took out some of the green beads using the lights to measure the distance between each green bead I took out. 


To iron the design, I used painter's tape to mask the whole thing, and removed it from the pegboards. I also poked a hole on each of the bead - see more about this process in this video I followed when I was making this. 



I used a 15 LED light set that uses batteries from Walmart (they were about $5). I taped it to the back so I can remove it if I wanted to. To add hangers, just hot-glue them to the back of the wreath.



And it's done. It's not perfect since some of the perler beads bled with the other perler beads but what can I do - I'm not that great at ironing. Will I make it again? Probably not - but then again, I do love how it turned out! I think it must be one of the most complicated things I've made next to mine and my husbands DIY beetlejuice masks but it's definitely worth it. What have you made that you feel is complicated? Let me know in the comments - and happy crafting, friends!

4 comments

Back to Top