Ornate Spider Earrings

DISCLOSURE: This post is sponsored by Silhouette America - I have been sent a product for review, but all opinions and ideas you will see in this post are my own. 


Fall is in full swing and I'm totally stoked for Halloween - it' one of my favorite holidays just because I get to dress up and wear creepy cute stuff that I would normally not wear. And skulls.... don't even get me started about skulls. But anyway, I created these fun ornate spider earrings using my new Silhouette Cameo 3 and some shrink plastic. And it's soooo easy! Check out how I made them so you can create your own!
finished ornate spider earrings lead

Supplies:

weld image on Silhouette studio

First, create your image. I welded two images I purchased from the Silhouette Online Store (these designs: Design ID #81543 + Design ID #153028).

How to do this:
  1. You'll want to create a copy of the frame before erasing / modifying the spiderweb.
  2. I used the second lace frame copy as a guide to erase the longer web parts and extend the other end of the web that didn't quite reach the perimeter of the circle.
  3. After that, weld the edited spider web to your FIRST lace frame copy. 

new Silhouette Cameo 3

Let's take a moment to appreciate the NEW Silhouette Cameo 3 shall we? I am loving the new design, with all the extra storage features - don't get me wrong, I still find the Cameo 2 sleeker, but this one is great with the double carriage, storage for tools, holders for extra blades on the side and the new locking mechanism for the blade. The only downside for me is it's not as portable as the older Cameo models or the Portrait. 

cut shrink plastic on Silhouette Cameo 3

I did want to test it out with my favorite material, shrink plastic. I've seen reviews online saying it wouldn't cut shrink plastic no matter how many passes they did. I believe the reason is one of two things:
  1. The shrink plastic material is too thick. I've encountered this personally, with my Portrait. I bought a bunch of black shrink plastic as it was on sale, and no matter how many passes, it just would not cut. Mind you, the same blade + machine cuts my other shrink plastic perfectly. 
  2. The blade is dull. This is true, too. You need a new or somewhat new blade to be able to cut shrink plastic.   
All three circles shown above were cut with these settings: blade 10, depth 33, speed 8, double cut. The first circle with only one pass, the second with two passes, and the third with three passes (all double cut). I found the best setting for this material is two double cut passes with a new or relatively new blade, specially if you are cutting intricate designs. Keep in mind this is NOT the Silhouette brnad shrink plastic - I'm still waiting for them to release that so I can test it out myself :)

cutting shrink plastic on Silhouette Cameo 3 settings

Use the settings I mentioned above to cut your file. I cut two of these babies as I was intending to create earrings - but I could totally see it as a choker charm. I sized them to about 3" square. 

bake shrink plastic

Bake your charms according to the shrink plastic package's directions. Mine was 250 degrees for 5 minutes, but they weren't fully shrunk so I added an extra 4. If you find that the images distorted when they shrunk, just pop them in the oven again for a few minutes and then reshape when you take them out by pulling them gently on the corners. You can also use a heat gun to heat them up.  

spray paint shrink plastic how to color shrink plastic

Roughen each side with sandpaper before spray painting. I used two coats of cheap matte black paint on each side, and then sealed them with a clear spray sealer. 

attach earring hooks on charm

Once fully dry (about a few hours), attach some earring hooks on the top loop using some jump rings and your jewelry pliers - and you are done!

spiderweb earrings

Love love love how these turned out! I am definitely making a matching choker. And maybe even more spiderweb stuff. What do you guys think?

Hungry for more Halloween DIY ideas that you can use your Silhouette for? Check out these past projects from the blog!

halloween cupcake toppers

halloween treat bag

floral batty necklace

filigree bat necklace

spiderweb earrings final

What do you guys love the most about Halloween? Let me know in the comments down below! As always, happy crafting, you guys!


7 comments

  1. Great tutorial Aki. I too decided to give shrink plastic a shot with my cameo after watching a review in which the technique seemed wrong. Here's what I made http://silhouetteuk.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/how-to-cut-dense-media-shrink-plastic.html?m=1 Kind regards, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this thank you for sharing! I think I'm going to start on a couple for the holiday shop at the kids school. i think the girls would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have set my cameo 3 to the settings you provided, and cut it DOUBLE cut 3 times and it still will not cut through, I am using the Grafix Brand of Shrink Film. What brand are you using perhaps your works better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Starla!

      Make sure you have a new blade - an old blade will not work as well. I use this shrink film from Darice: http://amzn.to/2e5afjn.

      Delete
  4. I'm so disappointed. I should have read your post more closely. I ordered the exact film you suggested, but I have a Portrait and now I see that you said it wouldn't cut through. I suppose I'll just try and stamp with StazOn and then color, cut and bake. I was SO looking forward to making the earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda!

      When I said I encountered that problem with my Portrait meant that when I only had the Portrait as my cutting machine - I've always been able to cut this specific brand with my Portrait - just make sure to use a new blade and multiple passes.

      Delete

Back to Top